LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Control valves (0...10V signal) Analog Output

Hello,

I have a cDAQ-9174 and I am looking to control valves with Labview.

I found about 10'000 videos on youtube about how to acquire sensor or thermocouples data with Labview.

But me I want the opposite : how to control valves and how to emit 0...10 V signal

Any youtube video or thing that could help me ? I start from scratch. Thanks a lot

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(3,375 Views)

Hi oxbow,

instead of watching videos on YouTube you should open the example finder in LabVIEW and look for relevant example VIs...

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(3,364 Views)

Thanks GerdV,

Actually I did, but the example file "Voltage - Continuous Output" is just a hyper-complicated version of what I would like.

I have the constant 5 in labview by example. I want to emits 5 volt. that's it.

I have DAQ assistant. I can open it, => Generate Signal => Analog Output => voltage. Then I choose my channel on my NI 9263. 

And ... that's it ? Will it works ? Is there a place on internet where I can learn this ?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(3,342 Views)

Actually I found this excellent tutorial :

http://www.ni.com/tutorial/4656/en/

it's pretty clear but is for input, not output like in my case. 😕

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(3,337 Views)

Hi Oxbow,

@Oxbow8 wrote:

Actually I did, but the example file "Voltage - Continuous Output" is just a hyper-complicated version of what I would like.

I have the constant 5 in labview by example. I want to emits 5 volt. that's it.

I have DAQ assistant. I can open it, => Generate Signal => Analog Output => voltage. Then I choose my channel on my NI 9263. And ... that's it ? Will it works ?

That example VI really isn't "hyper-complicated", not even "usual complicated": it configures a AO channel and outputs a waveform.

When you need an even simpler example you should look at the "Voltage output - on demand output" example!

Did you test your DAQAssistent? Does it work as you want? This is a one-minute test, so what are you waiting for?

(I usually don't recommend to use ExpressVIs like the DAQAssistent. They usually do more stuff than needed, and hide relevant parameters from the programmer.)

@Oxbow8 wrote:

Is there a place on internet where I can learn this ?

NI still offers the self-paced online training courses for free. There also is a DAQmx course available!

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(3,324 Views)

Try this:  Getting Started with NI DAQmx .  I believe it contains my favorite White Paper -- "Learn 10 Functions in NI DAQmx ...".

Note that you need to consider the current needed to drive something like a valve.  Talk to an Engineer ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14
(3,318 Views)

I am the author of the topic (just switched account),

So, my valve is plugged, running and configured to receive between 0...10V.

If it receives 10 V it is completely open. 5 V half open. 0 V closed. etc.

It is linked with a NI 9263 (basic analogic output, 0...10V)

I just want to send 2, or 5 V by example.

Here is what I have : I have a number between 0...10 in Labview and want to use that DAQ assistant to convert that in voltage. I have created a DAQ assistant with a 0...10 V range, digital output on the right channel of my NI9263. When I clicked "Run" it didnt do anything. So I am stuck now.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14
(3,306 Views)

@Oxbow88 wrote:

Here is what I have : I have a number between 0...10 in Labview and want to use that DAQ assistant to convert that in voltage. I have created a DAQ assistant with a 0...10 V range, digital output on the right channel of my NI9263. When I clicked "Run" it didnt do anything. So I am stuck now.

But you didn't wire up your data to the DAQ Assistant.  It would also help a lot more if you posted your actual VI instead of just an image.  We cannot verify your DAQ Assistant settings or see what your other cases are.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(3,302 Views)

The file can be just a number.

Take an empty vi, add the constant "4" or "6" and you have the code.

Now I don't understand to convert the "4" (or "6") to 4 V (or 6V) via the DAQ assistant.

I oppened the DAQ assistant, click Generate Signal => click Analog Output => click voltage => the channels of my NI 9263 display (ao0, ao1, ao2, ao3) and I select ao0 where my + and - are wired to control the valve. Then next. I have a graph of a wave. If I click run nothing happens. And that's it.

I don't know what to do next. I jointed a file. Thanks so much if someone can help 😕

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(3,298 Views)

1. Again, you have to wire your voltage to the DAQ Assistant "Data" input.

2. You should probably set the Generation Mode to "1 Sample (On Demand)".

3. You might be running into hardware limitations.  What module are you using to output the signal and what valve are you using?

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(3,296 Views)