LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Control reference bugs? LV2011

Hi I've recently started updating our code from 8.6 to 2011.

I have two problems which could be linked and Im pretty sure its a LabView program and not something that I am doing.

1) Type Definition References in old EventStructures are different to the currents references for a control:

Example 1

Changing "Controls 1" works fine because it is not a type def. Changing "Controls 2" means the references do not match and you will get an error.

2) If a Cluster is a Type def then using the function "CtrlRefNodes[]" does not return any Control References.

Example2.png

Here are the Vi's that you will need to replicate the errors:

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,851 Views)

The first one you illustrated is a confirmed bug.

The second is scripting related... Who knows if we can report bugs with that.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,844 Views)
Scripting is fully supported and therefore bugs should be handled normally. Just how bored someone would have to be to fix these bugs is another story.
Message 3 of 8
(2,842 Views)

I'm sorry but I'm dense, where is the bug? The code seems to be running exactly as it should. When I change Cluster 1 or Cluster two I get no error turning the CtlRef value into a cluster reference - but I do see error trying to convert it into a ring reference - which is correct. The converse is true if I change one of the ring controls - again correct.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,834 Views)

No maybe I'm being dense (or maybe just lazy) but the words describing the first bug is based on the Search function finding a match. In 2011 the control refs from the Event Property node no longer give you an "equal" when comparing them in LV 2011.

Its like the bug where you mentioned you always match labels.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,828 Views)
Ok that makes sense...

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,825 Views)

I cannot go through all our code that uses EventStructures and replace them. 50+ Event strutures with approx 50 cases in each.

The amount of bugs that will creep in/ testing needed would cost us hours.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,801 Views)

@LVJoe wrote:

I cannot go through all our code that uses EventStructures and replace them. 50+ Event strutures with approx 50 cases in each.

The amount of bugs that will creep in/ testing needed would cost us hours.

Ouch!

Well I supose it is obvious but you should hold off on upgrading.

In addition I usggest you contact your local NI rep and let them know about this issue. Tell them it is an "Upgrade Issue". Get them to start pulling string for you. Your local rep has the abitlity to influence (not control!) the severity assigned to a bug. High priority bugs will get fixed (if fixable) in the next release. In fact there is a possiblity this bug has already been fixed since there is a Beta version in testing now (Practically speaking there is always an Alpha or a Beta version being tested all of the time although there may not be a public version).

So talk to your local rep and ask them to look into this.

If you hear anything, plese let us know!

Your brother in (a rat's nest of ) wires,

Ben 

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,783 Views)