LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Context Help window is not displaying any information in Stand Alone App

The context help window displays the vi description, as desired) when running in the development environment.  However after building the Stand Alone app, while the I can open the context help window using Ctl-H or the front panel  menu Help , the help window in empty.  The mouse cursor changes to a "hand" while hovering over the icon pic in the upper right hand corner of the Front Panel but does not invoke any change in the help window.

I am using the same PC for development and check out of the Stand Alone app.

Any ideas out there?

Mike

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,228 Views)

Mike,

My context help for an executable shows the basic information. Can you post your .exe so we can see?

Regards,

Hillary E
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,208 Views)

Hillary,

Thanks for your response. 

My application is propriortary, but I have created an executable from a sub-vi that is exhibiting the same problem.  The context field will show information on Front Panel items but will not show VI Properties description when the mouse hovers over the icon image.  This information does however show up on the development environment.

Mike

PS I am getting an error when I try to attach the exe file.  Files with .exe extensions are not valid attachments.  Please advise.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,195 Views)
Try putting your .exe into a .zip file then uploading.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,184 Views)

Mike,

Yes, you should be able to zip it or just change the extension and we can change it back. In the mean time I have replicated what you are talking about with a simple executable. However, I think this might be expected behavior. After all, your executable is not a VI anymore. You can also make a product suggestion to have this changed.

Regards,

Hillary E
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,163 Views)
Hillary,

if you were able to reproduce this scenario, i will not bother with posting my example.  I will however make a product suggestion as your recommend.

thanks for your assistance.

Mike
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,162 Views)

I using LV2010, this problem persist. Specifically, an executable displays Controls and Indicator context help but NOT display its own context help (via Ctrl+H and mouse over the exe icon).

This should be fixed. I should be able to present my exe description to show how my exe works. My intention was to use the context help rather than creating pages and pages of MS Word explaining away the exe. If the exe is "not a VI now" why should the context help NOT work when all the criteria and description was included in the build VI?

Is there a work around or fix for this issue?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,454 Views)

Hi richjoh,

I think that I have found few work arounds for you. These are to:

a) Use Front Panel Labels,

b) Create a Help File

c) place a dummy item on the front panel that can include this information within the context help.

This change is currently being discussed. I hope that this helps.

Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Message 8 of 8
(2,438 Views)