LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer Blue Screen-Tagger\tagsrv.exe

Good Day, so we run National Instruments version 2.7.3 and LabView 8.5.1 on Windows XP professional 32 bit machines to operate our underwater vehicles control system.  We recently started using a brand new machine and we are doing some testing in the lab and the computer keeps on blue screening.  If we look in to the event log we get the following message:

The description for Event ID ( 0 ) in Source ( NI Variable Engine ) cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this description; see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the event:

NI Variable Engine started.
Executable: C:\Program Files\National Instruments\Shared\Tagger\tagsrv.exe

Earlier this week we tried reinstalling the National Instruments software and LabView but this did not help.  Any recommendations on how to get our brand new computer to stop blue screening due to the above error?  Last week we tried 2.7.5 version of National Instruments and that did not help either.

Thank you for your assistance.

Best Regards,

Jason

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,321 Views)

And what is "National Instruments version 2.7.3, or 2.7.5"? Is it some module? 

Did you run this combination of software (something 2.7.3, LabVIEW 8.5.1, windows XP) before on previous machine?

I would try older version of this Something, not newer 2.7.5 that may be not compatible with XP. 

And when does it happen? After PC starts and idle, or when you try to run something?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,306 Views)

Hello,

Thank you for the response.  NI 2.7.3 is CAN software, it's used to run CAN_BUS on our remotely operated vehicle(ROV).  We ran this same combination for a few years with no issues but the computers motherboard failed so we had to get a new machine.  I believe we have to use 2.7.3 due to the fact of the control software for the underwater vehicle.  The error occurs while we are using the CAN_BUS software to talk to the ROV.  We tried uninstalling all NI's software and the CAN_BUS software earlier this week and reinstalling but that did not help.

-Jason

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,295 Views)

The event log message you have listed is not related specifically to the blue-screen event. The log message simply implies that the service has started and the service isn't publishing details on what the event transition means (many don't); this message is normal. 

You need to look closer in your event logs. The System section will have an error listed for a blue-screen hard shut-down with all the relevant details. Also make sure that the error dumps have been enabled (System Properties -> Startup and Recovery -> System failure section, tick everything and ensure a full Kernel dump is enabled) in case NI support needs this.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,288 Views)

Hi,

The only event log I get is not very useful from what I can figure out.  Please see below.

The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck.  The bugcheck was: 0x100000d1 (0x00000000, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0xb9537f35). A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\Mini021517-01.dmp.

That NI message occured during the same minute so I figured it was probably related.  We only run 1 program on this computer so I'm pretty sure it's LabView related.

-Jason 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,286 Views)

That NI message is expected on PC startup, as would a message in the error log that the PC had rebooted from a blue screen. So it's not unsuprising that they occurred at a similar time.

The dump file it mentions is worth investigating. From this you would be able to tell what the fauklting module was, which wiould lead you to the culprit. If you upload the dmp file I can take a look.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,270 Views)

Hello,  

The FORUM won't let me attach the .dmp file, how do I go about attaching it?   We are also looking into updating drivers and other items. 

Regards,

Jason

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,250 Views)

Try uploading it to a cloud storage provider then and PM'ing me the link. I can post any findings back in this thread.

Or you can try the analysis yourself following this: http://www.wikihow.com/Read-Dump-Files

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,227 Views)

Hi,

I uploaded it to dropbox, https://www.dropbox.com/s/58x6tslarnnr83v/Mini021517-01.dmp?dl=0

Thank you for taking a look at it.

Regards,

Jason

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,217 Views)

All,

Thank you everyone for the assistance.  It looks like we found the issue.  There were 2 missing dll files in system and system 32 folders that were causing the blue screen.  Thanks again.

-Jason

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,209 Views)