From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Complex numeric display format

Hi all,

By default when we drop a complex numeric indicator (CSG, CDB or CXT) it displays the complex number are Re/Im

Is there a way to change to display format to display the complex number as r/theta?

Cheers

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(1,765 Views)

I don't think so, but you can always use a string indicator and do whatever you want with the parts. 😄

altenbach_0-1629124969353.png

Or even do degrees. 😉

altenbach_1-1629125263107.png

Message 2 of 6
(1,758 Views)

Ah well... Thanks for confirming what I was fearing.

I'll check if there is not already an idea in the exchange for this, and post one if not.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(1,747 Views)

Of course having a complex control with R/theta is a bit more complicated.

On a tangential discussion, complex numbers are always internally represented as two floating point values RE/IM, while under certain applications it would be more useful if these two numbers would represent R/theta. Imagine that the complex number represents the direction and speed of a vehicle. As soon as the vehicle stops temporarily (speed=0) all direction information is currently irreversibly lost (RE=IM=0), even though it is still pointing in a very defined direction. With R/theta, the direction could be maintained. Currently, we need to program around that :).

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(1,746 Views)

@TiTou wrote:

I'll check if there is not already an idea in the exchange for this, and post one if not.

I doubt that LabVIEW would invent its own formatting codes. It might be worth searching the web if there is already prior art in other programming languages.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(1,742 Views)

Hehe
My use case is more power grid than navigation, but yes, it would be helpful.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(1,739 Views)