LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CAN Device Interface with standard USB DAQ Module

Hello all,

I'm wondering if it is possible to utilize a standard USB DAQ module such as the USB-6009 or others like it for CAN purposes? I know NI offers a CAN Interface specifically but if it is possible to avoid spending money on another module when one we have already works, I'd like to go that route. I have the CAN drivers installed so that I can create CAN messages and channels in NI MAX, as well as having access to the CAN VI set via LabView. But I'm realizing now that it doesn't seem that I can set a standard in/out channel to my USB DAQ, or at least I do not know how; if it is even an option. Perhaps I don't understand CAN well enough to know that this question is a silly one. But if I can find a way to make this device (a time of flight sensor) work with what we have that would be preferable.

I appreciate all feedback! 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(853 Views)

Hello,

no, you need a dedicated CAN or LIN hardware from NI when using the XNET. Those HWs use dedicated transceiver chips (especially made for CAN or LIN). It will be nearly impossible to programm the protocoll on a simple (or even advanced) DAQ-card.

Regards, Jens

Kudos are welcome...
Message 2 of 2
(825 Views)