LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Nugget: GUI Components using Sub-Panels

Thank you for that analysis (and code) Matthew!

Wrappers around AEs is what the undocking app uses.

I get the new state from the AE and then defer FP updates before aplying changes.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 11 of 18
(3,419 Views)

Ben- You did indeed understand the approach- there are a few vesigal code pieces in my example but it does serve to demonstrate the GERM approach.

Matthew. raises an excellant point! and is correct in pointing out the benefits of "going to nirvana" by creating wrappers for each method that must operate on data rather than merely write the value to a terminal to "do the heavy lifting."  (I had hoped the point would be brought up by the comunity and am greateful that it started with Matthews expert analisys)

The Elapsed Timer GERM has limited external dependancies, to wit: 1 call to an OS level clock. Also no user input is permitted at the GUI- it is Display only.  Lag is not an issue here but there are cases where the GERM may have considerable interaction with hardware or file systems. A graph of a DAQ input or tree built from a file structure would be classic examples.  In these types of cases it is absolutly imperative to limit the scope of the GERM's AE to display of data only and wrap calls to the display AE with "utility" operations such as "Get waveform and display", G"et file structure and display" or "Copy displayed files toX" utilities.

Richard did take the time to demonstrate this- (And we slaved on his example for quite a bit longer than on mine for these reasons)

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 12 of 18
(3,405 Views)

Hi, Colleagues,

Just my 5 cents - another example with GUI using Sub Panels as Linked List in XControl (similar to Ben's Dock/Undock example).

Downsaved to LabVIEW 9.0.

Andrey.

Message 13 of 18
(3,362 Views)

@Andrey Dmitriev wrote:

Hi, Colleagues,

Just my 5 cents

Andrey.

5 cents? That's at least 5 bucks!

Awesome stuff Andrey, kudos!

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 18
(3,341 Views)

@Andrey Dmitriev wrote:

Hi, Colleagues,

Just my 5 cents - another example with GUI using Sub Panels as Linked List in XControl (similar to Ben's Dock/Undock example).

Andrey.

Great XControl / SubPanel demo Andrey! Thanks.

Richard

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 18
(3,333 Views)

Andrey Dmitriev 已写:

Hi, Colleagues,

Andrey.

Good !

" 一天到晚游泳的鱼"

labview@263.net

我的个人网站:LabVIEW——北方客栈 http://www.labview365.com
欢迎加入《LabVIEW编程思想》组——http://decibel.ni.com/content/groups/thinking-in-labview
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 18
(3,224 Views)

Andrey Dmitriev 已写:

Hi, Colleagues,

Andrey.

Good !

" 一天到晚游泳的鱼"

labview@263.net

我的个人网站:LabVIEW——北方客栈 http://www.labview365.com
欢迎加入《LabVIEW编程思想》组——http://decibel.ni.com/content/groups/thinking-in-labview
0 Kudos
Message 17 of 18
(3,224 Views)

OK Time to wrap up what we've learned.

Using Sub-panels on our GUI's is a simple way to offload maintainance of FP objects (and Sub-panels are often overlooked as building blocks for useful GUI elements.)  Sub-panels can be combined with advanced LV constructs such as X-controls, LVOOP classes to extend the scope of data a user can interact with WITHOUT bothering the GUI itself since the code in the sub-panel manages it's own data.

Thank you all for the enlightening examples and participating with your suggestions and comments.  (Now I'm off to code another UI to drop in a sub-panelSmiley Wink)

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 18 of 18
(3,172 Views)