From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Communication issues with COM port

Thanks!  This tells me it is a non-SCPI compliant device, so the *OPC? command will not work.  This also tells me that it may not even respond to a command to read the STB.  The other thing that tells me this, of course, is that you are getting a timeout when trying to do so.

There seems to be some query commands included with the command set.  See if you can implement those instead.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 21 of 27
(787 Views)
STB and OPC are GPIB functions. You have to use the DON? query per the manual.
0 Kudos
Message 22 of 27
(772 Views)

@Dennis_Knutson wrote:
STB and OPC are GPIB functions. You have to use the DON? query per the manual.

You can send them via VISA?  I thought they could only be reached through the GPIB palette?

I guess I was just being dumb about things.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
0 Kudos
Message 23 of 27
(768 Views)
No, VISA can read them. The main point I wanted to make is that the functions are defined by IEEE-488.
0 Kudos
Message 24 of 27
(764 Views)

@Dennis_Knutson wrote:
No, VISA can read them. The main point I wanted to make is that the functions are defined by IEEE-488.

And I was being particularly dumb because I remember you saying that a couple of times and I keep forgetting!

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 25 of 27
(756 Views)

Thanks for all your comments!

I can indeed use the MONO-?DONE command to verify if the device is done or not. But, if it is busy, it cannot display the 1/0 value in the buffer, because it is busy. Is this true? Or am I completely misunderstanding something?

I now temporarily solved the issue by estimating the waiting time based on the input parameters - it's a bit cumbersome though, and certainly not the most time-efficient solution.

0 Kudos
Message 26 of 27
(728 Views)
It may well be a limitation of the instrument. I would check with the vendor. I don't think it is a problem with LabVIEW.
0 Kudos
Message 27 of 27
(721 Views)