Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change LabVIEW Registered Owner and Company

Solved!
Go to solution

@AdnanZ wrote:

Please note that I was talking about changing the registry keys at

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

But, as I mentioned after I was corrected, that wouldn't change the owner and company of already installed LabVIEW versions. Only future installations.

Thanks.  I've changed those, but I did after already installing LabVIEW.  If I uninstall and re-install LabVIEW now do you think it will fix this problem?  I'm on a fresh install so now is the time to reinstall if I need to.  I'm hesitant though and a little doubtful that it will change anything because we all know how much "uninstall" is truly worth.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 25
(6,545 Views)

I cannot say for sure. I say that because I don't think the reinstall process modifies the registry in the same way a new install does....but I really don't know how the installation procedure works now.

I know for a fact that it works on new installs because I have done this before. But, never did it for a reinstall.

Adnan Zafar
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Coleman Technologies
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 25
(6,540 Views)

Our IT has already tried a reinstall of LabVIEW after modifying the (I guess they did this last night after I sent a complainy email to them).  Apparently it did not work :(.

I'm going to try loading the restore point of just before I installed LabVIEW.   My Windows installs last about 3 years, so I think it is probably worth the time now.  My boss might not think so....

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 25
(6,531 Views)

Just wanted to make sure that you are making the edit to the Microsoft software registry and not the National Instruments registry right?

Adnan Zafar
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Coleman Technologies
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 25
(6,529 Views)

Right.

I guess I'm not going to do a system restore.  The Device Driver DVD created about a bazillion new restore points so now I don't even have a restore point to before my NI Developer's Suite was installed :(.  Seriously, NI?

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 25
(6,524 Views)

Really NI??  I think I've stumbled upon a much larger issue than my initial post here.  Blasting the restore points to oblivion during an installation is just really poor form.

Message 16 of 25
(6,518 Views)

For whatever it's worth, I'm in a similar situation. On my old computer, LabVIEW 2009, 2010, and 2011 all show my name and company correctly on the startup screen. LabVIEW 2012 shows the name as "Unregistered," no company, and the correct serial number. It's annoying but I didn't worry about it since it is properly licensed.

I just received a new computer and am installing LabVIEW on it. I installed LabVIEW 2009. I then jumped straight to installing LabVIEW 2012 (we're not using 2010 and 2011). I didn't do anything unusual during the installation. Now on the new computer, 2009 has my name and company correct, but 2012 has a name of "EndUser" and no company. I remember seeing that the default value in the installer was EndUser, but I changed it, and apparently that was ignored.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 25
(6,492 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author hecmar.arreola

Ok, NI support helped me out on this one.  Updating the .ini file from within C:\ProgramData\ ... fixed the splash screen and also now when I create a new build my company name is auto-populated in the Version info.  Thanks, NI!

1) Navigate to C:\ ProgramData  
2) This folder is hidden and you must select Tools » Folder Options » View » Under ‘Files and Folders » ‘Hidden files and folders’ » check the ‘Show hidden files, folders, or drives » Select ‘ok’
3) Open ProgramData » National Instruments » LVProductDLLInfo » 12.0.0 » LabVIEW_ADE_120000.ini
4) Change the RegisteredOrganization = ‘xxxxxxx’ to the appropriate organization
5) Change the RegisteredOwner = ‘xxxxxxx’ to the appropriate owner

This will change the LabVIEW splash screen to the appropriate settings.

Message 18 of 25
(6,466 Views)

Nickerbocker,

Which OS are you using?  I'm using XP.  I don't see a c:\programdata folder even though I have my explorer set to show all hidden files and folders.

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 25
(6,459 Views)

I needed this to0 because I got a laptop from a customer with several versions already installed. On XP, the folder is

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\National Instruments\LVProductDLLInfo

Message 20 of 25
(6,456 Views)