cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant open TDMS file with excel 2016

Solved!
Go to solution

Hey guys,

I have Office 2016, LV 2015 and (I checked my "TDM Excel Add-in" folder) the TDM Excel Add-in 2015.

I have attached a picture of what I get, when I try to open the TDMS file with excel.

I found something strange as well. I checked the active add-ins under the excel options and the TDM Excel Add-in is listed as inactive (and is called a COM-add-in). I tried to activate it, by checking the box (see the second attached picture) but this didnt change anything. Interesting is the last line of my second attached picture:

Translated it means: "Loading behaviour: A run time error occured while trying to load this Add-In".

I have windows 10 - 64 bit as operating system.

Anyone with a solution?

kind regards

Slev1n

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 20
(13,123 Views)

I don't have Office 2016 to test with, but I don't see where that is mentioned as being compatibile with the add on tool, and acutally I've seen comments stating it wasn't compatibile as of March which I think is the version you are using.

http://www.ni.com/example/27944/en/

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/4906/en/

In the add ons ribbon is the TDMS importer listed, and can you import using that instead of the open?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 20
(13,107 Views)

Hello Slev1n!

I had the same problem but the solution is quite easy. You need to open Excel and go to Add-ins tab and choose TDM Importer. Then I can select my TDMS File and open it. See the attachement for screen shot.

Have a nice day!

Marcin

@ sorry, firstly I have posted then read your answer to the end. Of course, you are right!

Think Dataflow - blog.mtapp.tech
Message 3 of 20
(13,058 Views)

Hey guys,

thank you for your answers. The ribbon is not shown under the Add-Ins tab and I dont know how to make it accessable under this tab... Maybe I cant use TDMS with excel 2016..

kind regards

Slev1n

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 20
(13,024 Views)

Another common cause for this is that the .tdms double-click opens directly to excel and not through importer. Try right-click on the file in Windows Explorer and choose Open With> TDMS Importer.

This works for me with Excel 2016.

James Mc
========
CLA and cRIO Fanatic
My writings on LabVIEW Development are at devs.wiresmithtech.com
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 20
(13,016 Views)

Hello,

Try to check in Options, whether Excel 'sees' the Add-in. Open Excel and go to File -> Options -> Add-ins, I can see it like that:

2016-08-17 17_02_25-Excel Options.png

If Excel doesn't see it you can browse manually the add-in. Click the Go... button (bottom of the window) and find ExcelTDM.dll file (you can see path on the screen I have shown).

Let us know if that helped!

Marcin

Message 6 of 20
(13,013 Views)

If I tryed to open a TDMS file with right click on it and I choose open with TDM importer. I see that the program tries to open the file but immediatly aborts this process without error message.

@mtwr: You can check my first post, first attachement. The Add-In is listed as inactive. When I try to activate it, excel tells me that there was a runtime error and it couldnt be loaded.

I tryed to "repair" the importer.exe with the help of LabVIEW deinstaller...well well, any further advice ? 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 20
(12,987 Views)

Hello,

do you have an error code from excel message? Do you use 32-bit or 64-bit Excel?

Marcin

Think Dataflow - blog.mtapp.tech
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 20
(12,977 Views)

Maybe a total uninstall-reinstall?!

I am running TDM Excel Add-In 15.0 with the DLL version as 15.0.0.5733 without any problems.

Maybe bitness could be the problem. I have Excel 32 bit (currently version 16.0.7030.1021)

Sorry to chuck version numbers at you but maybe there is a difference which will explain why we are getting different results.

James Mc
========
CLA and cRIO Fanatic
My writings on LabVIEW Development are at devs.wiresmithtech.com
Message 9 of 20
(12,972 Views)

Hey, I do not get any error message. Only if I check the box to activate the TDM importer in excel I get the message, that there was a runtime error and it couldnt be loaded.

My excel version is 2016 32bit (16.0.4405.1000)

Regarding the TDM improter.exe I can only tell you that it is ther version from June 2015. (If you need more information, maybe you can tell me where I can find the exact version information)

kind regards

Slev1n

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 20
(12,956 Views)