From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant open TDMS file with excel 2016

Solved!
Go to solution

Hey guys,

I have Office 2016, LV 2015 and (I checked my "TDM Excel Add-in" folder) the TDM Excel Add-in 2015.

I have attached a picture of what I get, when I try to open the TDMS file with excel.

I found something strange as well. I checked the active add-ins under the excel options and the TDM Excel Add-in is listed as inactive (and is called a COM-add-in). I tried to activate it, by checking the box (see the second attached picture) but this didnt change anything. Interesting is the last line of my second attached picture:

Translated it means: "Loading behaviour: A run time error occured while trying to load this Add-In".

I have windows 10 - 64 bit as operating system.

Anyone with a solution?

kind regards

Slev1n

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 20
(13,132 Views)

I don't have Office 2016 to test with, but I don't see where that is mentioned as being compatibile with the add on tool, and acutally I've seen comments stating it wasn't compatibile as of March which I think is the version you are using.

http://www.ni.com/example/27944/en/

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/4906/en/

In the add ons ribbon is the TDMS importer listed, and can you import using that instead of the open?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 20
(13,116 Views)

Hello Slev1n!

I had the same problem but the solution is quite easy. You need to open Excel and go to Add-ins tab and choose TDM Importer. Then I can select my TDMS File and open it. See the attachement for screen shot.

Have a nice day!

Marcin

@ sorry, firstly I have posted then read your answer to the end. Of course, you are right!

Think Dataflow - blog.mtapp.tech
Message 3 of 20
(13,067 Views)

Hey guys,

thank you for your answers. The ribbon is not shown under the Add-Ins tab and I dont know how to make it accessable under this tab... Maybe I cant use TDMS with excel 2016..

kind regards

Slev1n

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 20
(13,033 Views)

Another common cause for this is that the .tdms double-click opens directly to excel and not through importer. Try right-click on the file in Windows Explorer and choose Open With> TDMS Importer.

This works for me with Excel 2016.

James Mc
========
CLA and cRIO Fanatic
My writings on LabVIEW Development are at devs.wiresmithtech.com
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 20
(13,025 Views)

Hello,

Try to check in Options, whether Excel 'sees' the Add-in. Open Excel and go to File -> Options -> Add-ins, I can see it like that:

2016-08-17 17_02_25-Excel Options.png

If Excel doesn't see it you can browse manually the add-in. Click the Go... button (bottom of the window) and find ExcelTDM.dll file (you can see path on the screen I have shown).

Let us know if that helped!

Marcin

Message 6 of 20
(13,022 Views)

If I tryed to open a TDMS file with right click on it and I choose open with TDM importer. I see that the program tries to open the file but immediatly aborts this process without error message.

@mtwr: You can check my first post, first attachement. The Add-In is listed as inactive. When I try to activate it, excel tells me that there was a runtime error and it couldnt be loaded.

I tryed to "repair" the importer.exe with the help of LabVIEW deinstaller...well well, any further advice ? 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 20
(12,996 Views)

Hello,

do you have an error code from excel message? Do you use 32-bit or 64-bit Excel?

Marcin

Think Dataflow - blog.mtapp.tech
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 20
(12,986 Views)

Maybe a total uninstall-reinstall?!

I am running TDM Excel Add-In 15.0 with the DLL version as 15.0.0.5733 without any problems.

Maybe bitness could be the problem. I have Excel 32 bit (currently version 16.0.7030.1021)

Sorry to chuck version numbers at you but maybe there is a difference which will explain why we are getting different results.

James Mc
========
CLA and cRIO Fanatic
My writings on LabVIEW Development are at devs.wiresmithtech.com
Message 9 of 20
(12,981 Views)

Hey, I do not get any error message. Only if I check the box to activate the TDM importer in excel I get the message, that there was a runtime error and it couldnt be loaded.

My excel version is 2016 32bit (16.0.4405.1000)

Regarding the TDM improter.exe I can only tell you that it is ther version from June 2015. (If you need more information, maybe you can tell me where I can find the exact version information)

kind regards

Slev1n

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 20
(12,965 Views)