From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot debug remote application

Hi,

I seem to be having issues with debugging remote application and I am not sure what could be causing this.

I followed these instructions for setting up the exe to allow remote debugging: 

Remotely Debugging Executables in LabVIEW - NI

When using the 'Debug Application or Shared Library' window, I can find the exe on the remote machine, but when trying to connect to it, the connection hangs (see screenshot below). I cannot cancel the connection, close the window or use labview - I have to stop the remote application through task manager (closing through 'X' does not fully close it), after which I can use labview as normal on the host machine

The application itself on the remote machine seems to stop as well after attempting remote debug. I can press buttons but they don't do anything. If I then restart the application, it works as expected.

RT_Instron_1-1646827226825.png

I then tried doing the same thing on localhost with the exe open locally. But I get a generic "Failed to connect to remote application".

I'm using LabView 64-bit 2021 SP1.

I also checked if the port was working by typing http://localhost:3580/dumpinfo? into the browser. Everything seems to be ok here as well, as far as I'm aware.

Has anyone come across this before?

Thanks very much for your time.

Message 1 of 22
(2,799 Views)

Hello, RT_Instron. What hardware do you use?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 22
(2,757 Views)

I have the exact same issue. LV2020 SP1 works but not 2021 SP1. 

http://localhost:3580/dumpinfo? works 

Turning firewall off doesn't help.

If I create an empty test VI and build it with debugging enabled and connect to it I get:

thols_0-1646903783391.png

I have followed this: Remotely Debugging Executables in LabVIEW

I

Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 22
(2,752 Views)

Ok, Can you show me your Project Explorer? 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 22
(2,745 Views)

Do you want to debug from PC the Real-Time Application, or you want to debug from one PC, to another PC project?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 22
(2,738 Views)

I checked with LabVIEW 2020 and LabVIEW 2021, It works. Now I am downloading LabVIEW 2021 SP 1 for test in this version.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 22
(2,725 Views)

I don't know about the OP, but I just tried on the same PC. Attached buildable project.

Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 22
(2,721 Views)

Thanks for getting back to me.

I'm trying to debug from one PC to another PC. So in terms of hardware, there's no additional NI hardware involved.

I tried doing the same thing as thols where I created a new project with a really simple VI with a while loop and set up the build spec to enable debugging. But I get the same result as in my original post.

Trying with exe on localhost: "Failed to connect to remote application"

Trying with exe on external computer: hangs on "Downloading NI_FileType.lvlib" until the remote exe is forced to exit.

Hopefully that helps. Please let me know if there's any info I can provide to diagnose the issue.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 22
(2,709 Views)

I tried remote debugging in LabVIEW 2021. It works great. Now I am downloading LabVIEW 2021 SP 1 for checking. 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 22
(2,704 Views)

Hi, I tried on LabVIEW 2021 SP1. The problem occurred. The first time I couldn't find the application, the second time couldn't connect. 

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 22
(2,652 Views)