LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't run exe on a computer that doesn't have LabVIEW installed

Hi!

I have built an application(EXE) and built an installer where I've included additional installer such as NI LabVIEW Run-Time Engine 2009, NI-Serial 3.4, NI-VISA Configuration Support 4.5, NI-VISA Runtime 4.5 and NI-VISA Server 4.5. When I run the exe on my computer everything works fine, but my problem starts when I try to run the exe on a laptop with Windows XP and without LabVIEW installed.

I start off by running the setup.exe on the laptop. When I afterwards try to run the exe my program starts, and works for a couple of seconds. It's executing my start-up VI but only runs through my first subVI I guess. Then it gets stuck in some sort of idle mode. In my VI's I use functions like VISA, Open/Close Config Data.vi, Read Key.vi, Queues, Initialize Keyboard.vi, Aguire Input Data.vi.

Am I missing some additional installer? Is there any way that I can find out what installers to use when I build the installer? I'm using LabVIEW 2009. Since I don't get an error message I am a bit confused. I have read the description for every addional installer, but to go through every combination of installers and to build it in order to try it on the laptop is really time-consuming.  

/Nina

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,831 Views)

sunds wrote:

Hi!

I have built an application(EXE) and built an installer where I've included additional installer such as NI LabVIEW Run-Time Engine 2009, NI-Serial 3.4, NI-VISA Configuration Support 4.5, NI-VISA Runtime 4.5 and NI-VISA Server 4.5.

Are you actually using one of the NI serial interface products? That's the only reason you'd need NI-Serial. NI-VISA Server is only required if you want to use the VISA resources on one computer from another. Are you actually doing that?

You said you don't get an error message. Is that because you have not implemented error handling? In other words, do you have the error clusters actually wired up in your application?

You seem to be using serial. Are your VISA resource names based on an alias? If so, you need to make sure those same aliases exist on the target computer. Aliases are created in MAX. You can export a MAX configuration and import it onto another computer. If you're not using aliases are you sure you have the same COM port numbers on both computers?

Message 2 of 2
(2,806 Views)