From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Calculate sinusoidal Position from acceleration data

Hello,

Hopefully this is an easy answer.  I have a sinusoidal waveform and I want to take the double integral of it.  i.e. I have acceleration and I want position.  When I do it in LabVIEW I get weird results.  Why isn't my position sinusoidal?  What am I doing wrong?

Thanks

Test Integrate.png

Dan Shangraw, P.E.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 18
(5,218 Views)

"C"

There is a "C" in both of those integrals.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 2 of 18
(5,210 Views)

Another way to look at it, is that the velocity is always positive, so the distance / position is always increasing.

Message 3 of 18
(5,203 Views)

As Sir Ben said, small offsets in data will lead to wild swings when you do the integral. A few solutions:

1. Remove mean from data, then high pass filter with a cutoff of 1 Hz, then integrate.
  2. Take the frequency spectrum, excluding 0 frequency divide each frequency by (2 pi f) for v or (2 pi f) for d. Measure displacements in frequency space.

mcduff

EDIT: (2 pi f)^2 for d

Message 4 of 18
(5,191 Views)

Hello,

Yes I have looked up the calculus and saw the C.  Its been a while...

A little more background my customer has an accelerometer that we are acquiring data from.  They want to know the displacement.  Performing a double integral on the accelerometer data should give me the displacement.  I am expecting a sinusoidal displacement signal.  That is how the UUT is actually moving.  The accelerometer data is sinusoidal.  I made this quick VI to test my math.  I am confused at the results I am getting and what math I need to calculate displacement.

Thanks

Dan Shangraw, P.E.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 18
(5,186 Views)

Hello mcduff,

What does remove mean refer to?  DC?  Shouldn't the High Pass filter get that too?

Dan Shangraw, P.E.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 18
(5,185 Views)

@ASTDan wrote:

Hello mcduff,

What does remove mean refer to?  DC?  Shouldn't the High Pass filter get that too?

Yes and Yes, I like to do both even though it may not be necessary. Doing the calculation in frequency space is much easier, no filters or DC removal.

mcduff

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 18
(5,182 Views)

It sounds like you are expecting a harmonic solution, but you are not providing the proper boundary condition.  Using the default initial condition for the velocity (1st integral), implies v(0) = 0.  For the harmonic solution, v = 0 at the extrema of the acceleration, so if you set the phase of your acceleration waveform to 90 (or 270) degrees you should see what you are expecting.

Message 8 of 18
(5,180 Views)

Also keep in mind there is no such thing as a "zero" in real world measurements.

And even if you found the offset, real-word values drift ever so slightly and they will pile up and you are right back where you started, trying to figure what the correct "C" should be.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 18
(5,172 Views)

Changing that phase is better.  However how do I set the initial conditions?  I don't have the luxury of manipulating phase to get the desired results.  I set the initial conditions in the integration VIs but still don't get expected results when using 0 phase

Test Integrate.png 

Dan Shangraw, P.E.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 18
(5,161 Views)