From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Built application´s compatibility

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi everyone, I´m not sure if this is the correct forum but hope somebody know the answer.

If I build an application using Labview 64 bit running on Windows 10, wil it run in Windows 7 64/32 bit?

Thanks for all, greetings

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(4,030 Views)

@JEmmanuelH wrote:

Hi everyone, I´m not sure if this is the correct forum but hope somebody know the answer.

If I build an application using Labview 64 bit running on Windows 10, wil it run in Windows 7 64/32 bit?

Yes application will run in windows 7 64/32 bit.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(4,027 Views)

@LV_COder wrote:

@JEmmanuelH wrote:

Yes application will run in windows 7 64/32 bit.

To be fair, we can't say this.  We're making assumptions here as the original post was void of anything that really helps us out here.

Does the application on Win10 require 64bit DLLs?  If so, you're going to have a bad day trying to get it running on Win 7 32-bit.  Is it built in LV 64-bit?  If so, how would you run a 64-bit application on a 32-bit OS?

Are there any calls outside of LV at all?

Are there any driver issues for any hardware you might be using?

There isn't a blanket answer here.  Can you convert some LV code from 64-bit down to 32-bit?  Yes.  Is it typically backwards compatible to Win7?  Yes.  Would anyone be correct in answering the question posed here?  No.  We simply don't have any information.  Instead of asking for hypotheticals, it's important to focus on what you're actually working with.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(4,006 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author JEmmanuelH

What do you mean by "Windows 7 64/32 bit"?  There is no such thing.

There is Windows 7 64-bit and Windows 7 32-bit.

An app built on a Windows 10 64-bit machine in LabVIEW 64-bit will only run on a 64-bit OS.  Not on a 32-bit OS.

An app buiol on a Windows 10 64-bit machine in LabVIEW 32-bit will run on either a 64-bit or 32-bit OS.

Message 4 of 10
(3,999 Views)

RavensFan escribió:

What do you mean by "Windows 7 64/32 bit"?  There is no such thing.

There is Windows 7 64-bit and Windows 7 32-bit.

An app built on a Windows 10 64-bit machine in LabVIEW 64-bit will only run on a 64-bit OS.  Not on a 32-bit OS.

An app buiol on a Windows 10 64-bit machine in LabVIEW 32-bit will run on either a 64-bit or 32-bit OS.

With "Windows 7 64/32 bit" I mean both Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 7 32 bit. I'm developing an application on a Windows 10 64-bit machine in LabVIEW 32-bit but when finished I´d like to run it in Windows 7 64 bit, Windows 7 32 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.

PD: I´m using the GPIB subVI´s.

Thanks for answering

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,955 Views)

Yes.  If you are developing in LV 32-bit, it will run in all of those.

It is confusing to use 64/32 bit when talking about an OS because it is either 64 bit OR 32 bit.  Not both.  But Windows 64 bit is able to run 32-bit applications.

(WOW64, Program Files, Program File (x86) are all phrases or locations that come into play here.)

Message 6 of 10
(3,951 Views)

Hi, just another doubt, I already built a Hello world application installer using Labview 2017 32 bit running on windows 10 x64, it didn´t work on Windows 7 Enterprise. When trying to install, a message appears saying "This installation requires Windows 7 SP1 or later". Is there any way to build an installer able to run in this OS? Is it possible using a previous Labview version?

Thanks for all.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,848 Views)

A doubt?  Or a question?

I'm not familiar with Windows 7 "Enterprise".  Where does that fit within the realm of other Windows 7 versions?

But there is an option on the Advanced tab of the builder for the installer that says "System Requirements" you can change.  But it looks like in LV 2017, that Windows 7 SP or later is the lowest version Windows you can select

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,835 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author JEmmanuelH

@JEmmanuelH wrote:

Hi, just another doubt, I already built a Hello world application installer using Labview 2017 32 bit running on windows 10 x64, it didn´t work on Windows 7 Enterprise. When trying to install, a message appears saying "This installation requires Windows 7 SP1 or later". Is there any way to build an installer able to run in this OS? Is it possible using a previous Labview version?

Thanks for all.

LabVIEW 2017 Runtime requires Windows 7 with Service Pack 1 in order to be installed. You need to update your Windows 7 with SP1 or use an older version of LabVIEW (for example, LabVIEW 2015 does not require the SP1 update).

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,833 Views)

Well, at the end it was another question. But it is now clear, thanks.

Best regards.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,805 Views)