From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Built application missing files

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello everyone,

I encountered a problem: I have a LV-Project, built an application and the installer. I installed it on a Windows 10 64-bit machine without the development system. When I run the .exe it tells me to find the XControl "3D Surface.xctl". I made sure that I installed the NI LabVIEW Runtime 2018 (64-bit).

Same when I install it to a Win7 64-bit machine.

So I installed it on my PC where the LabVIEW 2018 development version is installed. It still can't find several 3D plot files (3D Surface.xctl, 3D Surface Datatype.lvclass and some others, all in subfolders of vi.lib\Math Plots\3D Math Plots).

I tried to build the installer on a different machine, but that didn't solve the issue.

I also built a simple 3D plotting VI, built an .exe and an installer and that one worked on my PC and the one without the LabVIEW development version.

Thanks in advance,

Julius

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,908 Views)

That would suggest those VI's are not part of the standard Runtime and needs to be added/included in the installer. (additional software?)

I don't know which package it supposedly lives in, but i'm sure someone else will fill that in. 🙂

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,902 Views)

@juwess wrote:

I encountered a problem: I have a LV-Project, built an application and the installer. I installed it on a Windows 10 64-bit machine without the development system. When I run the .exe it tells me to find the XControl "3D Surface.xctl". I made sure that I installed the NI LabVIEW Runtime 2018 (64-bit).

Same when I install it to a Win7 64-bit machine.

This sounds like a bug.

@juwess wrote:

So I installed it on my PC where the LabVIEW 2018 development version is installed. It still can't find several 3D plot files (3D Surface.xctl, 3D Surface Datatype.lvclass and some others, all in subfolders of vi.lib\Math Plots\3D Math Plots).

That makes sense. The executable does not search in the LabVIEW development directories. So if it's not in the exe or a subdirectory of the exe, installing LabVIEW will not do anything.

If installing LabVIEW is an option, you'll have to include the LabVIEW directories to the executable's search path.

@juwess wrote:

I tried to build the installer on a different machine, but that didn't solve the issue.

I also built a simple 3D plotting VI, built an .exe and an installer and that one worked on my PC and the one without the LabVIEW development version.

Are the VIs containing the 3D plots dynamically loaded?

I've found that when a VI is dynamically loaded, it will be included in the executable when a static VI reference is used. But not recursively. So even if the dynamic VI is included, the 3D plot might be internally dynamically loaded as well, and therefore not included automatically.

I'd add the dynamic VIs to the "always include" section of the build script. If that doesn't work, search for the xcontrols and add them to the always include section (the dynamic VIs could be removed then). 

Message 3 of 8
(2,897 Views)

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

Are the VIs containing the 3D plots dynamically loaded? 

No, it's all statically loaded.

wiebe@CARYA wrote:

That makes sense. The executable does not search in the LabVIEW development directories. So if it's not in the exe or a subdirectory of the exe, installing LabVIEW will not do anything.

I also created a new project but the issue remained.

Thanks,

Julius

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,877 Views)

You might try toying with the options in the Additional Exclusions tab.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,872 Views)

You explicitly stated several times that you are using 64bit for both Windows and LabVIEW.  However, LabVIEW 32bit will also install on a win64 machine.  Do you have the ability to compile this on a 32bit LabVIEW and see if you experience the same thing?  32bit LabVIEW requires the 32bit runtime. 

Or do you have the ability to back-save it to a previous version of LabVIEW, compile and test?

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,853 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author juwess

Solved it!

I added all the 3D plot stuff to the project and put it in the always include box when building the .exe.

I also excluded the dependent shared libraries.

Don't know, which fixed it.

Thanks alot for all the help!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,824 Views)

@juwess wrote:

Solved it!

Then please close the thread by accepting a solution. That will help other to quickly find the solution.

@juwess wrote: 

Don't know, which fixed it.

I don't think excluding would do much when thinks should be included. Adding the 3D plot stuff sounds like it should work. Not sure why you'd have to.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,819 Views)