Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Build keeps failing

Solved!
Go to solution

The build was unsuccessful.

Possible reasons

An error has occurred. Expand the Details section for more information.

Click the link below to visit the Application Builder support page. Use the following information as a reference:

Create Folder in Create Directory Recursive.vi-

>IB_MSI.lvclass:Engine_InitializeDistribution.vi-

>IB_MSI.lvclass:Build.vi->CDK_Engine_Main.vi-

>CDK_Build_Invoke.vi-

>CDK_Build_Invoke.vi.ProxyCaller<APPEND>

Clicking on "visit support page" is no help

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,546 Views)

I've seen that plenty of times when I'm trying to overwrite an executable that is currently in use (by someone else on a network share).  The difficulty with diagnosing that is the executable will not show up when I browse to that directory in explorer.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(3,541 Views)

I am not using any network shares, all of the files are on a single user computer.

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(3,537 Views)

All I've got is maybe check folder permissions?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,535 Views)

Unfortunately, most readers of this Forum, including me, have not mastered the skill of being able to read the code that Posters fail to post. If we cannot see "what you did wrong", we are unable to tell you how to fix it. (Bob Schor 28 August 2018).

Judging from the Error message, you may have a series of calls or structures that have put the Build engine into trying to create a file in a sub-folder of its current folder (I'm cueing in on "Create Directory Recursive" and looking at the partial Tree shown that starts with IB_MSI.lvclass:Engine_InitializeDistribution.vi).  I have no idea what this code is or does, nor whether this is your code or NI's code (since I can't see it -- Dell has my Crystal Ball in the shop trying to diagnose a Cloudy Screen of Death).

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,488 Views)

It is an Installer build that is failing, if that makes any difference.

I can't upload the project due to its proprietary nature.

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(3,463 Views)

Vague build errors....not helpful NI. 

What LabVIEW version are you using?  In older versions of the software, I had an issue where I couldn't run an EXE build if the target directory where the EXE was being written was open.  It was a similar error as what you are seeing about a Proxy Caller / Build Invoke, etc.  Maybe the same issue occurs with the installer build process.  See here.

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
Message 7 of 11
(3,448 Views)

Interesting, but I have tried building after a fresh reboot with nothing open except for the LabVIEW project explorer window.

No files or directories should have been open or locked by the operating system.

BTW: LabVIEW 2017 SP1 on Windows 10

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,442 Views)

@aputman wrote:

Vague build errors....not helpful NI. 

I agree. 

Better error descriptions for Application Builder

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,423 Views)
Solution
Accepted by RTSLVU

Until very recently, Windows 10 had a 260 character limit of the full path name.  It's very likely that this limitation still exists in most windows applications.  I suggest you move your project higher in the disk hierarchy, or at least target the build to the root of C or another drive (USB drive?).  If that fixes your problem, you might still consider shortening the names of your folders, classes and VIs.

Michael Munroe, CLD, CTD, MCP
Automate 1M+ VI Search, Sort and Edit operations with Property Inspector 5.0, now with a new Interactive Window Manager!
Now supports full project automation using one-click custom macros or CLI.
Message 10 of 11
(3,418 Views)