cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Vague Build Error When Making Executable

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi Guys,

This is a long shot, since I don't have much to go off of besides a very vague sounding error. The details box looks like this:

Click the link below to visit the Application Builder support page. Use the following information as a reference:

Error 6 occurred at Invoke Node in AB_EXE.lvclass:Build.vi->AB_Engine_Build.vi->AB_Build_Invoke.vi->AB_Build_Invoke.vi.ProxyCaller

Possible reason(s):

LabVIEW:  Generic file I/O error.
=========================
LabVIEW:  Generic file I/O error.
=========================
NI-488:  I/O operation aborted.

Method Name: Build:Application

Sometimes this error pops up quickly, <10% progress on the build. Other times it looks like the build has nearly finished and then it pops up. I used to be able to make a successful build by just trying a couple of times, but now after 10 or so tries, it still looks like it's not going to work. Please give me any suggestions. Thank you,

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(4,716 Views)

Well, as the saying goes, the 11th time's a charm. I just tried again and it built successfully. I clicked "save all" in my labview project before building, but that could have just been coincidence that it decided to work now.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(4,711 Views)

Here is a list of things to look for.  There is one that talks about file names being longer than 255 characters.  However, it's strange that it will go ahead and build sometimes. 

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/2C99F5D635AE184C86256CD1005BBF65

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
Message 3 of 10
(4,701 Views)

Thank you,

I am writing to a place on the network, perhaps I am intermittently losing connection to it.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(4,695 Views)

Just a quick update: If I delete the target build folder (with the .exe in it) before trying to rebuild an application, it seems to work without problem.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(4,644 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Gregory

You know what....I remember getting an error when building an EXE.  I don't know if it is the exact same error that you speak of here but your post reminded me just now.  The solution I found was to make sure that i didn't have the target folder open when building it.  You can't be viewing the contents of the target folder.  Try that and see what happens.  

aputman
------------------
Heads up! NI has moved LabVIEW to a mandatory SaaS subscription policy, along with a big price increase. Make your voice heard.
Message 6 of 10
(4,634 Views)

Closing my windows explorer window worked 2 for 2 so far, thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(4,613 Views)

@aputman wrote:

The solution I found was to make sure that i didn't have the target folder open when building it.  

Oh man, this has to be what I've seen in the past.  I always tried manually deleting that folder, which would force me to not be looking at the output, and then it would work.  Now hopefully I remember this next time it fails.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(4,552 Views)

@Hooovahh wrote:

@aputman wrote:

The solution I found was to make sure that i didn't have the target folder open when building it.  

Oh man, this has to be what I've seen in the past.  I always tried manually deleting that folder, which would force me to not be looking at the output, and then it would work.  Now hopefully I remember this next time it fails.

What's frustrating is that the error doesn't pop up until the very end of the build process.  Depending on the complexity of your app, you may waste 5 minutes building an exe only to find that it doesn't build.  After you get two or three failures like that, you tend to not forget.  I've also found that you can close the folder after the build process has started....just in case you do forget to close it first.  

aputman
------------------
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(4,545 Views)

Wow. This error has been bothering me for years!! Couldn't figure out why. Never found anything in the posts before (other than not having the correct read/write permissions). Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(4,488 Views)