From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blinking Indicator without Event Structure

Solved!
Go to solution

Hey everyone, this question should be worded a bit better than my past ones. I finally completed Core 1 and 2 so now I actually have a grasp on what I'm asking. Haha!

Anyway, I have a custom set of sensors that interface through a com port and output a weight that is summed.  The weight is then put through a case structure to give different "bucket" sizes.  The different cases output values to a slider that the user sees. It's just to give an idea as to how big the load is.

What I need to do is make a boolean indicator that will blink if it sees a significant change in the weight. The weight is anywhere between 0 and 20lbs so I figured that a change of 1lb or more would be a great time to activate the blinking.  I also need it to only blink for a short amount of time (10 seconds max).

I've tried to use event structures based on the slider and a property node. I created an event based on a value change and put a blinking property node in, but all that did was cause my front panel to lock up.

Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,567 Views)

Right click your boolean indicator on your block diagram and create>>property node>>blinking. Right click the newly created property node and change it to a write. Now just feed it a True when you want it to blink and a false when you don't as long as it is in a loop.

Now Using LabVIEW 2019SP1 and TestStand 2019
Message 2 of 5
(4,561 Views)

I've gotten that much, but where I'm having problems is how to feed it the true and false value.

The true would be if the change in weight is greater than 1 and the false would be if the change in weight is less than one.

Is there a way to slice in some kind of boolean/numeric/comparison that basically says "if change in value > 1 then true"?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,559 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Matub

Well without seeing your vi one way to do it is to feed your weight measurement into a shift register on the right hand side of your loop. Grab the shift register on the left hand side and drag it down. This will give you the previous iteration of the shift register value that you can compare to the present.

Now Using LabVIEW 2019SP1 and TestStand 2019
Message 4 of 5
(4,557 Views)

A SHIFT REGISTER! ARGH! I can't believe I didn't think of something that simple...

Just a heads up, it worked beautifully.

Accepted solution and Kudos to you, sir!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,552 Views)