From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can I use my DAQ on two different computers?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi there.

Sorry if this might seem like a stupid question but I'm trying to save money lol. I have two test stations, each station has it's own computer and power supply. The power supply powers a certain device and the computer communicates with it via an USB to RS422 serial converter. I am using the 2 analog outputs on my NI-USB 6008/6009 DAQ to control the 2 power supplies. AO 0 to control the power supply on station #1 and A0 1 to control the power supply on station #2.  I can control these 2 power supplies just fine with one computer connected to my DAQ. But i need each computer to be running tests independently. I only have 1 DAQ but 2 computers, is there way to use this DAQ on both computers???

thanks for any help!

Don't think twice.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,303 Views)

No.  Because there is no way you can take one USB-DAQ and plug it into two computers at the same time.

You would probably be better off having one PC that communicates with the USB-DAQ and have your application on one computer talk to the other computer to pass commands and get back data from the USB-DAQ, probably by way of TCP/IP.

I would actually make an application that only handled the USB-DAQ operation.  Then have the program that runs on each computer be the same and talk to the USB-DAQ application which would act like a TCP/IP server.  The program that is on one PC would call the IP address of the other PC.  The program that is on the same PC as your USB-DAQ server would just call the local host to establish communication.

Message 2 of 3
(2,297 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author sb_oxinst

I figured out the easiest way for me to do this is to run two VI's on one computer. Since I have 3 usb ports on my labtop, I can use 2 of them to communicate via serial with both of my devices and the 3rd one for the DAQ. 

Thanks Knight of NI for making it clear about using 2 computers.

Don't think twice.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,292 Views)