cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blank CSV file attachment with email

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi ,

I have a tried & tested report generator software(standalone exe file) that is working for many clients.

What is does basically is parse through 24 csv files generated hourly throughout the day , generate a summary report & email it.

My problem is..... in one particular machine , the email attachment is always 0 bytes i.e blank, though the summary report is being generated at its designated DOS path.

I have increased the delay between the report generation & the email from 5 seconds to 15 seconds without any positive outcome.

The same software works fine in other machines.

Any ideas about what to check for in this particular machine?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(4,497 Views)

If I understand the problem, you are successfully e-mailing a Report (see Comment below) to multiple recipients who receive it appropriately, yet a single recipient gets your e-mail, but not the (attached?) Report.  Here are some questions and ideas:

• It would be interesting to know more about the Report (the information might be in your attached code, for which I thank you, but I didn't easily find where it was generated).  I'm not even 100% certain that it was sent as an attachment, as opposed to being the "body of the message".
  • Assuming it is an Attachment,
    • What was the name and extension of the attached file?
    • What was the size of the attached file?
    • Was it a text file?  A binary file?  A "well-known" file format (e.g. .xlsx, .pdf, .txt)?
  • Was the e-mail or its attachment encrypted?
  • What is the size of the Message and/or its attachment?

What I suspect is happening is that the "missing e-mail" occurs because the intended recipient's e-mail system is blocking your message, due to some "rule" on their inbound e-mail system that you are somehow violating.  One thing to check is whether or not your e-mail address has wound up on a "Spam" or other "rule" list for this recipient.  One way to test this is to simply call them and ask, and also to send them a "manual" message through a normal Mail channel such as Outlook or gmail.

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(4,458 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author shantanu@india

A few quick questions (probably you checked, but to get us on the same page):

1. The problem machine correctly generates the hourly reports with appropriate contents?
  2. The summary report also has reasonably contents (I think this is hinted at by your comment "the summary report is being generated...", but I wanted to check it has the expected content)
  3. Is the computer running the same OS? Is it noticeably slower or older?
  4. You might try wiring the "Path" value directly into the 3rd frame, rather than using the property node. With such a long wait, it seems unlikely this is a problem, but still...
  5. Does this always occur? (As in, every time for this one computer, and never for other computers?)

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(4,455 Views)

Hi,

Thanks for your replies & sorry for my delay in responding.

The software works perfectly for any other machine(we have already tried two) other than this particular machine in question.

In this particular machine the report file(in CSV format) is being generated.....no problem there!!!

The only concern is the CSV file is not being attached.....in the recipient end the email is being received with a blank attachment.

The computer is running the same OS.....Windows 10 Pro......speed seems to be OK.

There might be some issue with the internet connection of this particular computer.......maybe email attachments are being blocked by the server.

I shall check & revert.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(4,415 Views)

There are several reasons that an Attachment might be blocked by a recipient's Mail Server.  They include:

• No Attachments Allowed.
  • Certain Attachments blocked (typically things that can be executed, as they might contain malicious code).
  • File Size limit (which is why I asked about the size of the .csv file).
  • How much room the recipient has in their mailbox (can't send a 1 MB file if the recipient only has 500 KB of space left).

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(4,398 Views)

I'm confused.

Is this thread talking about:

A:  One program sends to multiple people and most get the attachment and one does not?

B:  A program on one computer sends attachment to multiple people and they all get it, but same program on different PC sends attachment to multiple people and they don't get it?

Or some other combination?

I'm thinking OP's situation is B, but the flow of this thread is talking about situation A, or at least Bob's messages seem to talk about situation A.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(4,381 Views)

shantanu@india wrote:

In this particular machine the report file(in CSV format) is being generated.....no problem there!!!

The only concern is the CSV file is not being attached.....in the recipient end the email is being received with a blank attachment.

How 'bout them Ravens?

What I think the OP is saying is that the e-mail is getting through to all N recipients, but one has an attachment with zero bytes.  Sounds like a "policy" on the one recipient's e-mail server is noticing the attachment, but failing to "save the bytes".

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(4,374 Views)

@Bob_Schor wrote:

shantanu@india wrote:

How 'bout them Ravens?

What I think the OP is saying is that the e-mail is getting through to all N recipients, but one has an attachment with zero bytes.  Sounds like a "policy" on the one recipient's e-mail server is noticing the attachment, but failing to "save the bytes".

Bob Schor

They are slowly putting together a winning season, in a mediocre division.

They way I interpret the OP's message is that the "one particular machine" is one server acting up out of several.  As opposed to one recipient's machine not getting a message.  Because the first thread even talks about increasing delays on the originator of the report, which would imply the server machine having a problem.

Shantanu@india,  please clarify your problem.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(4,367 Views)

Hello,

Let me clarify:

1. We manufacture automatic weighing systems comprising of a PLC panel connected to a PC based SCADA which generates hourly CSV files. The Reporter program is triggered by the Windows task scheduler program once everyday that parses the 24 hourly files to generate a Summary Report in CSV  format.
  2. Both the SCADA program & the Reporter program( that I have attached) are LabVIEW 2015 based exe files.
  3. For every customer we create a Google account with a Gmail address that is used to send the Summary report as an attachment to the designated mail recipients.
  4. There cannot be any inherent problem in the code since we have supplied this system to many customers with different PC configurations & operating systems(Win 7/8.1/10)
  5. In this particular case , the Summary report is being generated perfectly at its designated DOS path but the Email is being sent only to the first email address in the array of email addresses & that too with a blank attachment.This particular computer belongs to the client with its dedicated LAN-based internet connection.
  6. We can send the same CSV file as attachment to all the recipients from the same Gmail I.D from the same computer if we use the standard Gmail server instead of LabVIEW.
  7. As always , we have set the Gmail security settings to allow "Less Secure Apps"
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(4,348 Views)

Just learnt that the clients computer is running Windows 10 Education instead of Windows 10 Pro. Can that make any difference?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(4,340 Views)