From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BiSS Serial Protocol

Does anyone have any experience to share on the BiSS Serial Protocol ?  I'm considering interfacing to a BiSS encoder using sbRIO.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 38
(9,348 Views)

Hi,

I hope you are well.

Do you have any more specific question?

Best regards,

Mark M.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments UK & Ireland
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 38
(9,311 Views)

I'm interested to know if anyone has BiSS FPGA G-Code to share.  www.biss-interface.com

It's an open-source protocol, so I figure someone may have posted G-Code for this application.  I'm also interested to hear of others overall experience of BiSS, limitations, advantages etc... 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 38
(9,309 Views)

bmann2000,

I will get a BISS encoder next week and I intend to get the readings from the encoder by implementing a small portion of the protocol stack directly in G-Code.

Did you get additional feedback which you could share or have you already started with some type of implementation? Thanks

Alex

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 38
(9,172 Views)

Hi Alex,  I eventually found a BiSS interface adapter from iC-Haus, it was £140 and iC-Haus have supplied LabVIEW drivers, I'm hoping it will be plug and play.  I've not started working with it yet, so I can't say how the drivers have been.  Here are the drivers.  http://www.ichaus.de/ftp/download/brianmann.zip

I bought the adapter from James Filmer, Product Manager, Semicom Visual Ltd, 44(0)1279 770400 www.semicom.co.uk  Beware, the power supply for the adapter comes with a German 2-pin plug, so you'll need a travel adapter.

I also found this product from addi-data, it's a multi channel solution:

http://www.addi-data.com/wEnglisch/redirect.php?http://www.addi-data.com/wEnglisch/produkte/pci_expr...

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 38
(9,153 Views)

Thanks for your help, but this will not give me a native cRio-FPGA solution. I need this because I am running a 50kHz Feedback Control Loop inside the FPGA and the position must be read with that speed.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 38
(9,149 Views)
I've not actually looked at the drivers yet.  I'm targeting sbRIO, FPGA commutating motor (field orientated control) with incremental encoder 50kHz, closing a rate loop with FPGA, then a position loop with BiSS encoder feedback using the processor 2kHz.  I may have to implement FPGA BiSS comms too, looks like you'll get there first.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 38
(9,146 Views)
Hi Alex, I starting on the BiSS interface to my Renishaw encoder this week, so far I've successfully configured the IC-Haus adapter, it's reading out 28-bits without any problem.  Next step is creating FPGA code to interface the Renishaw with a sbRIO.  Have you made any progress in creating this interface?
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 38
(8,962 Views)
Yes, I am reading out the angular position at a clock rate of about 100 kHz. You need a RS 422 driver, I am using a "DS 8921N" . The FPGA code takes very little space and coding was not very complicated because of similarities with the SPI Protocol. I am hesitating to post the code here because of patent and license issues, I am not sure if I am allowed to do that.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 38
(8,929 Views)
Hi Alex, thanks for the note on the driver chip.  I have similar code for serial comms I can use to get started, if I'm struggling I'll post my code here and maybe you can point out where I've gone wrong.  100kHz with minimal gates is a result.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 38
(8,920 Views)