LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Benefit of New Subscription Model

Solved!
Go to solution

What are the benefits to the alliance or contract development company of adopting a subscription model?

What are the benefits for existing users?

Of course, one benefit is that the initial barrier to purchase is small,

but many business owners are concerned about the price they will pay over time. It's the same for me.

My customers want source code in their deliverables. This is because they intend to make small modifications by themselves.

With the subscription model, they have to keep paying for the license, which they feel is a disadvantage.

My company has been using LabVIEW 2017 for a long time, and we cannot install new drivers, etc.

So, "you will have access to new features" or "you can always use the latest version" is not an advantage.

I believe that NI introduced the subscription model because the subscription model provides benefits to many users,

and I wanted to understand that and apply it to my business in the future.

NI’s Subscription Software Program

I've already read above link but couldn't find those information.

Certified LabVIEW Developer
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 40
(1,903 Views)

@Tepig wrote:

What are the benefits to the alliance or contract development company of adopting a subscription model?

Alliance Partners were already on a subscription model.  It was technically a lease, but it worked the same as a subscription.

@Tepig wrote:

What are the benefits for existing users?

Considering the subscription is ~40% more than the SSP renewal was, I don't see any.

GCentral
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 40
(1,849 Views)

Of course there's the tremendous feature that if you let your subscription expire, your production lines go down.

My wild guess is that they've gone to SAS because they perceive it as a trendy way to make more money.

I view it as obnoxious; as abuse of customers (which I think is always a bad business practice).

"If you weren't supposed to push it, it wouldn't be a button."
Message 3 of 40
(1,837 Views)

@paul_cardinale wrote:

Of course there's the tremendous feature that if you let your subscription expire, your production lines go down.

Only if you are running from the IDE, which you really should not be doing.

@paul_cardinale wrote:

My wild guess is that they've gone to SAS because they perceive it as a trendy way to make more money.

I view it as obnoxious; as abuse of customers (which I think is always a bad business practice).

I have other conspiratorial thoughts in my head which I try very hard not to give any attention because the "make more money" is the most likely cause.

For those using an Enterprise Agreement or constantly updating the SSP, it is not really that big of a difference other than the ~40% increase in price.

GCentral
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 40
(1,816 Views)

Frankly I see no real benefits to the subscription model. 

Honestly, except for getting the new releases there was no real benefit to SSP.

Every time I used my SSP the first thing NI support did was search this forum, like I had not done that before I called them.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 40
(1,803 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

@paul_cardinale wrote:

Only if you are running from the IDE, which you really should not be doing.

OK.  So our lines wouldn't go down immediately; but when there's a problem on a production line, engineers often need to use the the IDE to resolve it.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 40
(1,795 Views)

@paul_cardinale wrote:

OK.  So our lines wouldn't go down immediately; but when there's a problem on a production line, engineers often need to use the the IDE to resolve it.

I have the development environment installed on my laptop, in these rare cases I just take my laptop out to the line to troubleshoot. Rebuild the application and deploy the new exe on the ATE computer. 

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 40
(1,791 Views)

@RTSLVU wrote:

@paul_cardinale wrote:

I have the development environment installed on my laptop, in these rare cases I just take my laptop out to the line to troubleshoot. Rebuild the application and deploy the new exe on the ATE computer. 

Our production lines are scattered around the planet (most of them on the opposite side).

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 40
(1,788 Views)

@paul_cardinale wrote:

@RTSLVU wrote:

@paul_cardinale wrote:

Our production lines are scattered around the planet (most of them on the opposite side).

Sure, but then who is using the IDE to troubleshoot on the production line?

Get them a laptop!

========================
========================
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 40
(1,785 Views)

@RTSLVU wrote:

@paul_cardinale wrote:

@RTSLVU wrote:

@paul_cardinale wrote:

Sure, but then who is using the IDE to troubleshoot on the production line?

An engineer, remoting in to a factory on the other side of the world.

Get them a laptop!

Yeah, all of us engineers have laptops.  We're just too lazy to pick them up and carry them 12,000 miles to a factory.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 40
(1,782 Views)