LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BI-directional VI-server LV 2009 SP #1

Solved!
Go to solution

Has anyone been succesful with serving VIs using VI-server that works both ways?

Both ways?

VI running on cFP node can be accessed via "call by ref" from an exe on a laptop.

AND

VI running on the laptop can be accessed via "call by ref" from the exe running on the cFP.

I have been serving cFP to the PC for years with great success.

This time we need to add another connection to let the cFP acces the VI running on the laptop but we are getting errors (error 66 closed by peer in this case the peer is the laptop) attempting to acces the server running on the laptop.

BUT

if we open the splash screen fo LV on the laptop, (or have LV open in the background) the code works as expected.

This almost sems like Windows is failing to recognize LabVIEW and not opening it in response to the app open request but if it (LV) is already open, the connection works fine.

I am asking this question help out some of my co-workers so here are rules from the lead architect on that project.

1) NO shared variables (network is dynamic and has to build and un-build iteslf as equipment arrives and departs the work-site.

2) No LV 2010

So does anyone have any bones I can toss to the wolves?

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,561 Views)

@Ben wrote:

This almost sems like Windows is failing to recognize LabVIEW and not opening it in response to the app open request...

And for good reason. Open Application Reference does NOT start up an app. It only opens a reference to an already running LV app listening on the port you specify. No running app means no one is there to answer, so you have to open the app on your own.

@tst wrote:

@Ben wrote:

This almost sems like Windows is failing to recognize LabVIEW and not opening it in response to the app open request...

And for good reason. Open Application Reference does NOT start up an app. It only opens a reference to an already running LV app listening on the port you specify. No running app means no one is there to answer, so you have to open the app on your own.

Your head is in the same area as mine but I should clarify.

The application (running as an exe) is up and running when we get the failure.

If however, we open LV (just the splash screen is enough) the connection into the exe works without issue.

I'll have Brad reply himself. Thanks for the reply!

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,543 Views)

After looking over the reply from Yair and thinking and poking, we are in the midle of manually entering the ini file tokens for the exe and rebuilding the cFP image to explicitly assign a port.

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,534 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ben

By manually doing the ini file (see this thread) it seems to now work.

That thread is where Mike discovered that ini tokens were not coming across.

They are still testing. I'll let them change there mind.

Thanks for the support Yair!

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,525 Views)

I marrked the above as the solution.

NI support confirmed that the bug Mike found in LV 8.2.1 is still there.

Ben

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,488 Views)