LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Application builder won't save my settings.

Hi,   I'm using LabView 8.21 and I keep having a problem with the "Application Builder" portion.  Whenever I try to set the properties of the application to build, it doesn't save the settings under "Source File Settings" / "VI settings".  Specifically the "run when opened" setting.  I can uncheck it, save it, reopen it, and the setting is back being checked.  This happens for all these checkboxes.

I've heard that version 8.2 had some bug with "Run when opened" and 8.21 fixes this issue, but this doesn't seem to be fixed.

Does anyone else know how to get these settings to stay saved?

thanks,
-Jesse
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,579 Views)
Hmm...I'm using 8.2.1 and it works fine for me. Tried deleting your application build spec and creating a new one?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,566 Views)
I've tried recreated the project and vi....this happens with every single project/program I work with.  I even installed LabView on another test computer and does the same thing, so I even doubt a re-install would help it.  This seems really weird.  Are there ever any patches to LabView?  I've only been using this software for about a month so I am not very familiar with everything.  Is there possibly a tech support line to call about these types of things?

Also, I've even read about switching that setting about "Wait for debugger on launch" to get around this issue.  That doesn't even work.

thanks,
-Jesse
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,528 Views)
Hi Jesse,
Could you please post your project and list the steps you did to reproduce this issue?  I'll see if I can reproduce this issue on my machine.
Thanks!

Yi Y.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
http://www.ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,513 Views)
ok, I put the project in a winzip file.
I did some further testing and it seems if i create a brand new project with a brand new vi, then it works fine. But if i make a new project, but use an existing (or old) vi, then the start up settings won't save when I uncheck them.
Maybe these files will do the same for you, i'm not sure.

thanks,
-jes
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,499 Views)
Hi Jesse,
I opened up your project on my computer and I was not able to reproduce this error.  I saved the project file again after modifying it and returning it to its original settings.
Open up this project in your computer and see if you are still seeing the problem.
You mentioned that you installed LabVIEW on different computers and the same problem persist.  Did you try to copy the code from the included VIs over to a brand new VI and make a brand new project? Is there a specific VI which causes the settings to not save when you include it?  Query Database by Cert Number.vi is missing for me, and that's the only subVI that I can't load up.  See if removing that from your VI makes a difference.
Please let me know what you find out.  Thanks!

Yi Y.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Message 6 of 10
(3,485 Views)
Hi Yi Y,
I didn't even do anything to this project after I downloaded it from your last post, and the settings here are now saving the way they should.  This seems so weird.  I will try those couple things you mentioned and post back to let you know.  Does it seem possible that something in the old code is causing this?

thanks,
-Jes
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,469 Views)
Yi Y,
I tried removing a lot of different sub vi's and that didn't seem to do anything.  However, I copied the code from the main Plot Program to a new VI and created the new project from that and it seems to work perfectly fine.  So I guess I might have to do that whenever I edit some old programs.  (Although new programs I make, I always have a start button actually in the program)

thanks!
-Jes
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,465 Views)
Hi Jesse,
It sounds like we are possibly dealing with a corrupted file or possibly a file that was created in older versions of LabVIEW and is encountering a glitch in the new version.  I'm not sure exactly why, but if the issue persist with new files you created in LabVIEW 8.2.1 and it's reproducible, please don't hesitate to contact us and we'll do our best to help.
Hope this information helps!

Yi Y.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,455 Views)
Yi Y,
I'm pretty certain now that it is only some old programs that were written in previous LabView versions.  It's not doing this issue with new files it seems.  I think I'll just do the method of copying the code into a new vi, it seems to work fine after i do that.

thanks for your help!
-Jes
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,449 Views)