LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insert 3D Graph in a MS word

I am trying to insert a 3D graph into MS word in a similar fashion that was described in the following post:
I can insert the control into PPT very nicely and get it to work, but when I try to do it in word it looks much different?  It has two figures when I only want one, it seems to run off the page, etc.  I guess I can always use PPT and export a static image and import it into word, but I thought it would look better to directly have the control in word.  Also does anyone know if I can use Adobe to convert the word document into a PDF?  I tried it with the attached word document, but it gave me an error "Adobe PDF failed to create the PDF file."  

I just stumbled across the previous thread and therefore don't know much about activex controls.  I would like to use some the 3D plots I have generated for my thesis and the presentation defense using MS word and PDF documents, and also PPT like was described in the previous thread.  Thanks for any insight
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,805 Views)
I don't have Word, but I opened your document in OpenOffice 2.2 and printed it out. I'm not sure about the having two figures, but it certainly doesn't seem to be running off the page.

By the way, you can also capture images of controls directly from within LV. These images can then be placed within a Word document with a link to the file. In that way, if you update the image, the Word document will update the next time you open it.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,796 Views)
Hi Kbaker,
I opened up your file and I do see the artifact you mentioned in MS Word.  It seems to be a bug in Word.  I have been using https://www.pdfonline.com/convert_pdf.asp to convert my word document to PDF, and it works pretty well.  I tried it on your document, and I got the same result Mike did.

Yi Y.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
http://www.ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,767 Views)

I wanted something like I could get in PPT with the activex control.  Then I could rotate it and zoom in and out.  I wanted to see the 3D surface not just the data points.  I will just have to import the .cwx file into PPT, then export a static 3D image (.jpg, .emf, etc)  into word, then convert it into a PDF.  I am attaching the procedure.  I believe this is the best I can do to present the real data points along with the fitted 2D function into a figure for word and PPT.  If anyone has any better ways to present this type I am open to suggestions.

Also I believe there is something wrong with my adobe PDF creator, it has problems with other docments too.  Thanks again.  

Kevin Baker

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,753 Views)
Hi Kevin,
I just realized that the convoluted UI of Word was causing the confusion.  It turned out that the top window that runs off the page is their "design view" window and you can actually drag the figure around in that window to get the view you want.  There's a little icon with a ruler on the bottom right that says "exist design view" which will close the top ActiveX window and you'll just have one graph in your document.
Hope this helps.

Yi Y.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
http://www.ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,738 Views)