From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Agilent 33250A synchronized with DT9812

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello everybody,

I am trying to control two devices (Agilent 33250A and DT9812 DAQ card) synchronizedly by using LabVIEW.
    I need to excite a transducer by using an arbitrary waveform generated by 33250A in the burst mode with its frequency swept from X KHz to Y KHz with a given increment. Burst period and number of cycles also needs to be adjustable.
    I am trying to send commands to the signal generator through GPIB port using LabVIEW VIs.I have the necessary drivers. (Config Burst Modulation.VI under "ag33xxx.llb" and Agilent 33XXX Series Generate Arbitrary Waveform.vi under "examples" in the attached folder) but I do not know how to combine these two.
    I communicated with the instrument without any problem and I can pick any arbitrary waveform I want. I can also set the generator into the burst mode but I need to be able to do these within a  single VI.
    After that I also need to synchronize the process such that the everytime the frequency of the waveform changes, the data is acquired by the computer. I have the LV-LINK to control DAQ card. I'd appreciate any help that at least gets me started.

Thanks in advance

Deniz

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 17
(3,814 Views)

You should be able to open those VIs you are using, and see what they are doing.  You can then take out the pieces that you want, and put them together in one VI that does everything you are looking to do. I haven't looked at the VIs, but I assume they probably do something like initialize the device send the command, and close the reference.  I assume you will need to do something akin to initialize, send both commands, and then close the connection in order to combine the two.  The only way to know exactly what will need to be done is to refer to the programming manual of the device, and ensure the correct commands are being sent to the device.

Jensen
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 17
(3,783 Views)

I combined two VIs. One of which pick an arbitrary waveform and another sets the signal generator to be in the burst mode. I think there is a synchronization problem between the two VIs since the code sometimes works and sometimes it does not.

Besides, I could not figure out how to increment frequency with a timed loop.(increasing the frequency with a specified amount with equal time steps)

Could you please help me with those?

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 17
(3,777 Views)

Well it looks like you have a race condition.  there is no data dependancy enforcing that the instrument is initialized before you send the burst parameters so there is an opportunity for your lower case structure to execute - and then the initialize vi reseting the device.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 17
(3,771 Views)

So what can I do about it?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17
(3,765 Views)

If you want to increment the frequency with a timed loop, I would recommend using shift registers.  Feel free to check out the community for an example implementation within Basic Shift Register Examples.

Lynn

National Instruments
Senior Systems Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 17
(3,754 Views)

I tried increasing the frequency. It is giving an error (code -1074000000) . When I highlighted the execution of the code, I saw that problem is occuring at the last case structure of Create arbitrary waveform.VI.

I attached the libraries that might be needed.

In addition to that how can I turn the burst on (see config burst modulation.VI) at the same time when I pick the arbitrary waveform? 

Thank you

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17
(3,741 Views)

I wrote the VI to pick an arbitrary waveform, turn the burst on and to increase the frequency using the signal generator.

Now,everytime the frequency is changed, I need to save data from a scope. (LeCroy, Wavepro760 Zi)The scope is connected to the computer through the ethernet port.

I installed the necessary drivers but I could not figure out the VISA resource name for that device. Could anybody help me with that? Where can I find that out?

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 17
(3,703 Views)

Take a look at the VISA Resource Name Control LabVIEW Help. This may help you get started.  Also, are you setting a control as the input, these sometimes get defaulted to an appropriate resource name depending on the device.

Lynn

National Instruments
Senior Systems Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 17
(3,692 Views)

Hi Deniz,

When using any LeCroy XStream scope over ethernet with LabVIEW, you must use the VICP passport for NI-VISA.

You can download it from here: http://www.lecroy.com/Support/SoftwareDownload/home.aspx?capid=106&mid=533&smid=

Along with a LabVIEW driver for the scope.

Once you get the passport installed, you have to tell Measurement and Automation Explorer to use it.

In MAX, go to "Tools\NI VISA\VISA Options..."

Select "Passports" and make sure the LeCroyVICPPassport.dll item is checked.

Save the changes.

Now, when you open the connection, use VICP::XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX for the VISA Resource Name (XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX = the IP address of the scope).

Make sure the scope is setup for TCPIP (VICP) by going to:  Utilities\Utilities Setup... on the scope and select the "Remote" tab, make sure the button for TCPIP (VICP) is selected.

If you are connecting directly from the scope to a PC, you may need to get an Ethernet Crossover cable (if the PC does not have a NIC card that does this automatically).

If you need any assistance with the LeCroy Scope, feel free to call me at (1-800-553-2769) Extension 6088 from 8am to 5pm Pacific.

I will be happy to help.

Regards,

Leonard Brown

LeCroy Applications Engineer

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 17
(3,686 Views)