From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello. I am very new to LabVIEW programming.

I am using the NI 9425 with DAQmx. It is a digital input module and I continuous read the inputs (I would like to update only on input level change but it doesn't support it).

I use the DAQ assistant with these parameters:

- Acquire Signals

- Digital Input

- Port Input

I select port  0 (it is all 32 lines)

- Acquisition Mode: Continuous Samples

- Samples to Read: 1

- Rate (Hz): 3

When I create an indicator, I can see it works, although the update is not at 3 Hz, it is much slower.

What I cannot do, is give the output to individual LEDs, it needs some kind of conversion I am not familiar with.

When I am trying to put a conversion to Dynamic Data (as in picture) it does not work.

So far, two problems (slow update rate and not working with individual LEDs).

When I am not trying to do it with the DAQ assistant, I don't exactly know there right parameters to select.

You will find the pictures attached.

Thanks a lot.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,970 Views)

Hi vakost,

show the full picture (or in other words: attach your VI!) to get some answers on the 3Hz sampling rate issue.

- Get rid of the dynamic datatype, you don't need it. There are functions on the waveform palette to handle digital waveform data...

- Get rid of the DAQ assistent. There are coming example VIs with LabVIEW/DAQmx explaining basic tasks like yours...

- Do you really need 32 individual boolean indicators? Why not use a boolean array?

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,950 Views)

Hello and thanks for the answer.

I am attaching the vi.

- Can you suggest any other functions for me to use in order to avoid the Dynamic Datatype?

- Why do you suggest to get rid of the DAQ Assistant? I have seen and use the examples but I find that there is no difference in the simple task I want to do.

- I don't want to use a boolean array (as in a couple of the examples) because I want to arrange the LEDs in different places in my screen and the LED array only places them in one row or column.

Thank you,

Vasilis.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,931 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author vakost

Hi vakost,

I don't have DAQmx installed on this computer so I cannot check the DAQAssistent settings...

To handle the digital waveform array you get is quite easy:

check.png

You can use IndexArray to pick any element you need.

- Using plain DAQmx functions you might read your data as boolean array right from the beginning - no conversion needed afterwards.

- You might use a cluster of booleans for the frontpanel display. So you can work on boolean arrays in the block diagram and just convert to cluster for display:

check.png

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,926 Views)