From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8.6 slow build

Hi all,

I am trying to make a build of an application I wrote, which includes and application and installer but it is taking way too long.  Previous versions of the software would build in less than a minute, but that's no longer the case.  

I'm pretty sure the issue comes from using 8.6 now.  More specifically, the new 3d graph in 8.6.  I have three different software packages, and the 2 that use 8.6's graph take forever to build, and the other one which uses 8.5 build really fast.  

Does anyone have any suggestions?  I feel like the builder thing is looking for files but not finding them in the right spot so it scans my whole computer or something until it finds them.  

Thanks for any help,

Tim

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(4,010 Views)

Hi Tim,

That's usually the case and I'd say your instincts are correct. The problem is usually associated with the installer. If you look in the build specifications for an installer under Additional Installers, you'll see the Installer source location (see attached screenshot). If that location does not match the file placement, that's usually where it creates an issue. You can try downloading the contents of your 8.6 CD onto your desktop and referencing files from there as an option. That's what I've seen work before.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Dan Richards
Certified LabVIEW Developer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,981 Views)

So I removed the 8.6 version of the 3D surface graph and it built really speedy again.  I looked at the installer source location and it is correct.  Is this a known issue with 8.6's surface, or is just the surface stuff hidden on my disk from the installer?

--
Tim Elsey
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,940 Views)
Try adding back the files you removed and in your build specification on the "Additional Exclusions" page, uncheck the option "Modify project library file after removing unused members".
George M
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,924 Views)
Nope, that didn't do it.  The problem persists.
--
Tim Elsey
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,897 Views)

Hi Tim,

I went through and looked at the references that this front panel control calls and the list is extensive. I'm not sure, however, why it still takes so long to compile into an executable. It could be a bug or an oversight by R&D, but it could be just the nature of compiling these hundreds of references for use with the LabVIEW Run-Time Engine. I'll have to look further into it. Are you able to get around the problem or will you need to compile this program (with the 3D surface graph) frequently?

thanks,

Dan Richards
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,862 Views)

I no longer need to compile this program frequently since we now have LabVIEW installed on the program that runs the software (rather than just the LV RTE)

Also, I removed the 8.6 Version of the 3D surface and use the classic activeX one that was available in 8.5 and it seems to be working fine.

--
Tim Elsey
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,857 Views)

Hi Tim,

After passing this around through some of our developer liaisons, I have filed a Corrective Action Request (CAR) so that R&D can address this issue in a future version, if they decide to. Sorry for the inconvenience this problem caused you and thanks for sharing your workaround!

Regards,

Dan Richards
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,836 Views)

This was reported to R&D (# 145466) for further investigation. Tim explains a workaround above. Thanks again for the feedback.

Dan Richards
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,697 Views)