LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

64bit and LabVIEW

Hi all,

I've seen a couple of documents on NI knowledge base about LV 8.2.1, if I understoud correctly it is a 32 bit application that runs both on Windows Vista 64 and 32 bit.
Being a 32 apllication means that on Vista 64bit it will be emulated and will not be able to use more than 4Go of RAM.

I'd like to know if NI communicates about 64bit LabVIEW version Smiley Surprised
I've been looking for an "NI public roadmap" but couldn't find any. Is there anything official / public about that ?

PS : my interest behind this question is that for the purpose of a custom application we acquire images directly to RAM at a high rate (4000Hz, image size : 1000*128 8bit monochrome) so increasing "accessible" RAM to 8 or 16Go would let us acquire 2 or 4 times the duration of the acquisition.

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

Message 1 of 15
(4,137 Views)

Hi Titou,

There is a Tutorial about Vista, which explains in detail how LV works on 64-bit version of Vista.

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/5709

Regards,

Evrem

Message 2 of 15
(4,096 Views)
Thanks Evrem for this link.

I read the article but did not find the information I was looking for in it.

From what I understood, on a 32bit Windows the max RAM is 4Go so LV has to share the 4Go with windows and any other program running on the computer.
So, assuming my understanding is correct, the only benefit of Vista 64bit + LV 8.2.1 would be to put for instance 8Go of RAM and then LV would be able to use the 4Go without having to share.
This is a point.

I guess from your answer that NI does not communicate any roadmap about a proper 64bit version of LabVIEW, correct ?

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(4,091 Views)

Hi Titou,

Yes, you're correct, no roadmap is available.

Regarding the maximum RAM LV can use, this is limited to 2GB.

The os on 32-bit environments allocates 4 GB, but uses 2 for itself.

Despite of WoW64, which allows running 32-bit programs on a 64-bit os,  32-bit programs cannot

take advantage of the larger address space.

With Best Regards,

Evrem

Message 4 of 15
(4,081 Views)
Is it possible to run multiple LabVIEW application instances under 64-bit Vista so that together these LabVIEW application instances consume more memory than the 4GB barrier?

Tomi
--
Tomi Maila
Message 5 of 15
(4,075 Views)
We do allocate more than 2Go for LabVIEW.

NI support sent us a VI to allocate more than 2Go for an IMAQ acquisition 😉

Tomi, this is a good question... this would be a work around, but would it also work with NI-DAQ and NI-IMAQ...

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(4,073 Views)

@TiTou wrote:
We do allocate more than 2Go for LabVIEW.

NI support sent us a VI to allocate more than 2Go for an IMAQ acquisition 😉

What's the trick TiTou?

Another issue popped into my mind. Does Vista x64 version of LabVIEW 8.2.1 run on Windows 2003 Server x64? Could anybody from the R&D give a guess. I know it's not supported but that's not what I'm asking. I'd still love to know also if I can run multiple application instances of LV that jointly exceed the 4GB limit...

Tomi
--
Tomi Maila
Message 7 of 15
(4,057 Views)
Always listen to the experts, they'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then go do it !

That sentence has been written for you Tomi
:D:D:D

Here is the VI in LV 7.1 that does the job, I think there is a knowledge base article about it... not sure though.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

Message 8 of 15
(4,047 Views)
Unluckily I haven't got a license for Windows 2003 server x64 nor Vista x64. That's why I wanted to know it in advance to avoid purchasing licenses for something that won't work anyway.Perhaps you can try these up, it seems there is not much NI folks participating this discussion so I guess we have to deal with the case by ourselves.

Tomi
--
Tomi Maila
Message 9 of 15
(4,021 Views)

Here is another quote for you Tomi.

"Better to remain silent and appear a fool than to open ones mouth and remove all doubt."

Smiley Very Happy

Personally I cleared up all doubt years ago. Smiley Mad

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 10 of 15
(4,006 Views)