LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3d Picture Control - import VRML problem

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a problem with loading VRML file into LabVIEW 8.6 using 3d Picture Control.

Some objects inside the VRML file created in Vivaty Studio 1.0 couldn't be represented in LabVIEW.

I've created a simple example- VRML object (a sphere inside a round object- revolution of a rectangle) using Vivaty Studio 1.0, and imported it. The problem is that a revolution of rectangle could not be seen.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,720 Views)
According to this document only VRML 97 is supported. That was written for LV 8.2, but I have not seen any updates with respect to LV 8.6.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,691 Views)

Have you tried to separate the two objects and represent them in separate VIs? What I'm trying to figure out is whether or not combining multiple objects in the same VRML file can cause problems. I've checked various sources for documentation to see if I can find any clear information on what versions are supported. With regard to the previous post, the link provided does indicate that VRML 1.0 and 2.0 may not be supported, but the information is listed as LabVIEW 8.2 and has not been updated in some time. The release notes for LabVIEW 8.5 and 8.6 do not indicate any changes to support this so the answer is unclear on that aspect.

-Zach

Message 3 of 7
(3,663 Views)

Could you attach the wrl for us?

Also, have you tried 3d sensor mapping with that wrl to verify that the problem presents itself there too?

Message Edited by Chris_VH on 05-28-2009 04:25 PM
Chris Van Horn
Applications Engineer
Message 4 of 7
(3,644 Views)

Thanks for helping 🙂

I tried to separate the two objects and the result is the same. Only the sphere could be seen.

The wrl is attached in the first post, but as a txt. I've attached it here with the other example (ROV- viewing it in 3d picture control all parts created with

revolution of figures are missing, you could compare with the scene in 3d viewer).

3d sensor mapping- I tried to pass through the example (loading the first wrl- appears nothing, loading ROV- only propellers could be seen. Given examples are showing correctly (car, processor...).). 

Please could you try to open those wrl-s and see if you're experiencing the same problem?

Tnx

Regards.  
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,627 Views)

Hello,

I tried the files and experienced the same issues that you were describing. Have you taken a look at this article: http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/4930 ? Also, can you verify that you saved your files in ASCII format? I have been in contact with various sources and am waiting for confirmation on VRML version support. Once I find something out I will let you know.

-Zach

Message 6 of 7
(3,602 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Bogus

Alright. So what I have found is that because the revolution of the rectangle is being rendered as an extrusion, it cannot be displayed. The implementation of the VRML viewer has some limitations and I have compiled these limitations in order to provide documentation. This link should clear things up: http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/94E716A426FAD46B862575CA005747E0?OpenDocument .

Take Care!

-Zach

Message 7 of 7
(3,535 Views)