From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

0 bytes on VISA Read?

'lo all,

Follow-up time here.  The problem was not in the read but in the preceeding write of the polling query command.  The device was never getting the poll command correctly when I sent it as a 2 character string.  Thus, nothing ever came back to read.  When I broke it up into two visa writes with a 40 ms delay between the instrument correctly processed the command and sent back my packet of information.

NI-Spy said the write was successful as a two character string, but the device just blissfully ignored it until I sent it character by character.

Hard learned lesson here.  When your read is seeing nothing, your previous write may be the cause.  Dang, seems so obvious now!

Greg Cole
“It is not the ship so much as the skillful sailing that ensures the prosperous voyage.”
Message 11 of 14
(728 Views)

Thanks for the update Greg.

That widget must be as old as me!

I have this old scratch-built I/O device that had a delay built into the code to throttle the resonse back to the PC to make sure the PC did not miss  any data. Your situation sounds like the same thing backwards. I guess they thought that nobody could ever type that fast.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 12 of 14
(715 Views)
It doesn't necessarily have to be an old widget. I have to regularly provide an inter-character delay to products I test. I posted a VI that will do that at http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=170&message.id=54750#M54750.
Message 13 of 14
(705 Views)

Well thank you Dennis and Greg.

Hopefully I'll be able to remeber that when I run into it myself.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 14
(678 Views)