LabVIEW Shortcut Menu Plug-Ins

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Find Events.llb (for ctrl/ind/FPTerm/local var/ctrl ref)

Author: wiebe@CARYA (for QuickDrop) and ported to shortcut menu by Darren (NI)

Provide a way to find event frames associated with a given control or indicator.

Untitled.png

Untitled.png

Untitled.png

Attachement is saved in LabVIEW 2015. For install instructions, go here.

Comments
vishots.com
on

I have a suggestion for an enhancement. If there's only one event case found, then don't bring up the dialog. Just jump to the event case and show it.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)
on

It's a floating window, not a dialog. It's meant to stay open to show the results. What if it opened the window and went ahead and highlighted the one case?

huangjinghit
on

Very useful function, thanks!

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast
on

There are a few UI "features" that may be worth mentioning:

- it will open the result window even if there is no match.

- if will prevent undoing a delete event case action if you look for the event you just deleted.

- for some reason, if you have events involving tabs, controls that are in these tabs and whose events you are looking for, will be listed below the events involving tabs in the result list (in other words, you are stuck with those tab events no matter what you do).

For this reason I am giving it 4 stars at this stage, as it is still a useful tool as is.

parthabe
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast
on

Will it work for LV 2014? If yes, could someone post a downconverted version of the LLB? Thank you in advance!

- Partha ( CLD until Oct 2024 🙂 )
Darren
Proven Zealot
Proven Zealot
on

Shortcut menu plug-ins are only supported in LabVIEW 2015 and later. However, the original tool was written as a Quick Drop Keyboard Shortcut plug-in, which you can download here. I believe this QD plug-in works in LabVIEW 2013 and later.

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast
on

More features attributed to this plugin (but might be due to something else) and this one, potentially very troublesome:

Using "Find Events" and double-clicking one of the hits to go to the event CLEARS THE UNDO STACK!

Example VI (with instructions) attached:

Find Event Kills Undo.png

Hooovahh
Proven Zealot Proven Zealot
Proven Zealot
on

According to Darren in a post on LAVA, performing scripting operations that isn't wrapped in a Undo Begin will cause the undo stack to be cleared out.  I suspect this is a bug in the code related to doing some scripting.

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast
on

I did try to look into the code, but there are some protected VIs (I commented on that on the thread by AQ giving instructions on not protecting VIs...), so I gave up.

I just wanted to say that the undo stack clearing is not limited to the case I had mentioned previously.

If anyone feels like fixing that problem, this would save a lot of potential trepidations to unsuspecting users (including me, as I will probably forget about this at a critical time).

kosist90
Active Participant
Active Participant
on

Nice and useful plugin!
Let me share idea for improvement - if one opens typedef, and clicks on controls there, "Find Events" option is available. But of course, no events could be there for this control. Maybe, it could be nice to filter out this menu option, if control is located not in the VI, but in control file type (*.ctl), and other similar files where Event Case could not be present logically.
Also, maybe plugin could first of all verify if VI has Event Structure at all, and display menu option just if Event Structure is present. If Event Structure is not found, menu option "Find Events" could be present, but grayed out.

Contributors