LabVIEW Interface for Arduino Discussions

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Arduino UNO R3 Connection problems

Hi all,

After some troubleshooting, and searching these forums, I still have connection problems between Arduino UNO R3 and labview 2011 (both 32 and 64 bit)

The problem is when when I try to initialize the connection using "init.vi" nothing happens. Labview just freezes, I don't get any errors, and I have to force the program to close.

What I've figured out is that it freezes on the visa serial configuration in the init.vi. So far, I have tried several things that have been suggested on these forums. Including, changing the timeout value, making sure my COM port is correct, making sure my baud rate matches the settings in device manager, and restarting. I even tried building my own serial port configuration VI.

The uno board is flashed with the newest firmware from NI, and I am able to sucessfully connect using arduinos programmer utility.

any help is appriciated. Thanks!

Message 1 of 15
(9,033 Views)

If something like this was happening to me, I would try to find out exactly where it is crashing by using either hightlighting execution or by stepping through the program until it crashes.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(4,682 Views)

I am having the exact same problem as indicated by this error message in LabView running BlinkM.vi:

Error code 5002. Source Init.vi.  Unable to establish connection with Arduino.  Please ensure that you have selected the correct COM port and that you have flashed the Arduino with the correct firmware.

I've tried everything you have tried and nothing helps. Things that once worked (for others) do sometimes get broken and only discovered by new users.

And what's worse, no one believes it because it's not happening to them. But I believe you because it's happening to me too.

It's real. It's a bug. It should not be ignored as user error - which it might be. But until I see a clear list of steps for making the Uno and its driver(s) work, I will continue to promote this as a bug that needs fixing even if only in better documentation.

Vincent Randal

Longmont, Colorado

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(4,682 Views)

The issue stated in the original post of this thread is not the same as yours.  I am trying to go through debugging steps with you in your other thread so, let's try to keep this particular thread about the issues of the original poster.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(4,682 Views)

Then I am having two issues and my second issue is exactly the same as hobobot: The problem is when when I try to initialize the connection using "init.vi" nothing happens. What next?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(4,682 Views)

Does LabVIEW freeze on you?  I'm guessing not because you actually get an error.  See my response in your thread.  It is very hard to debug things on a text-based forum over the internet.  If I don't know of any obvious fixes, I try to start debugging from the ground up.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(4,682 Views)

Thanks for the replies.

I do not get the usual 5002 or 5003 errors that many other people are having. Instead, labview just completely freezes and I have to force the program to close and then restart.

Hightlighting execution was how I figured out it was something to do with the serial configuration. I've checked all my settings (baud rate, stop bits, etc) to make sure they match. I'm still not sure what the problem is.

Message 7 of 15
(4,682 Views)

What do you mean by "serial configuration"?  I would try to dig down as far as possible to see exactly what VI is causing it. In other words, the source of the crash should be a VI that you cannot open it's block diagram.  Once you find that VI, I would search based on it (as opposed to Arduino specific VIs).

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(4,682 Views)

Hobobot,

I LabVIEW is freezing / crashing the problem is probably not specific to the Arduino Uno R3.  What happens if you run the VI without an Arduino attached (no arduino connected to the PC at all)?  If it still crashes try running individual VIs (starting with init) and narrow down the function that casues LV to crash.

If you can narrow it down a bit we can provide better troubleshooting steps.

-Sam K

LIFA Developer

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(4,682 Views)

Inside init there is a block called "VISA Configure Seral Port.vi" which freezes.

Inside of that block is the instrument configuration (circled in blue on the attached screenshot). That is where it freezes.

I have tried using the default values, and the actual values that match the configuration in device manager. I've also tried it with and without a termination character. (Although I'm not the best programmer so I'm not sure what all those things mean)

Thanks in advance

Capture.JPG

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(4,682 Views)