LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
JackDunaway

"Auto-insert Feedback Nodes in cycles" Option Default OFF

"Auto-insert Feedback Nodes in cycles" option under Tools > Options > Block Diagram should default to OFF. I am a believer and preacher of FN's since Darren's blog post about them, but it seems I can only get FN's to appear when I mis-wire, not when I want one.

Plus, they really scare LV beginners (and me!) when I miswire. GAH! What just happened??

ScaryFeedbackNodes.png

8 Comments
altenbach
Knight of NI
JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast

If I had seen that, I would have linked! It seems we all carry the same sentiments. Whenever I click on the wrong wire, and LabVIEW halts for about 3/4 of a second, and then I see a BD full of broken wires, I have a little heart flutter.

elset191
Active Participant
Should it even be an option?  I've had it off since I saw that thread altenbach linked to.  Thinking back, I've never once used the one put in by default.  And it seems no one else has either
--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
JackDunaway
Trusted Enthusiast
My original post was going to delete the option and the "feature" altogether, but I honestly figured the guru power-users (e.g., altenbach, Darren, et al.) would balk, claiming they use it all the time and their life would be miserable without it. Boy, was I wrong. If those guys don't even use it, BY ALL MEANS, see ya auto-insert FN.
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)
It's definitely on my list of "things I turn off in new LV install." I'd be happy to see it gone.
muks
Proven Zealot
True and i am for this to be removed completely..
hfettig
Hear, hear!
altenbach
Knight of NI

Another example where a feedback node was automatically inserted because the user has no clue about dataflow. This does not help anyone!

AutoFN.png