LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ouadji

error cluster + boolean

Idea was explicitly considered & rejected by R&D - see Aristos Queue's post (above) for reasoning

be able to connect an error cluster with ALL booleans

(a boolean is a boolean, there are not different kinds of Booleans)

original5.png

8 Comments
PhillipBrooks
Active Participant

I think that this has been addressed in LabVIEW 2011 according to this.

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Boolean-function-accept-Error-Cluster/idi-p/917731

I don't have LV2011 installed to test the specfic cases you show. What version of LV do you use?

Now is the right time to use %^<%Y-%m-%dT%H:%M:%S%3uZ>T
If you don't hate time zones, you're not a real programmer.

"You are what you don't automate"
Inplaceness is synonymous with insidiousness

David_L
Active Participant

You can do this with the functions in the "Boolean" palette, but not with other functions/VIs/Controls that have a boolean input.  I don't know the innards of LabVIEW, but I imagine this kind of change has to be done on each function that needs to accept an error cluster and would be fairly difficult to implement on a global level.  I could be wrong though

X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

Because an error cluster is much more than a flag. It contains error code and message which are crucial for some functions to behave properly (example: many VIs of the Dialog & User Interface Palette). I can understand that it works with some boolean operations (but it is actually buggy, see this report) but I would not expect it to extend any further. Actually I wouldn't want it to.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

No, the change does not have to be done on every function, David. It could have easily been done systemically.

The limitation was deliberate to minimize miswiring. It's way too easy to click the wrong terminal on a dense conpane, and in general we like the strong typing of LabVIEW. The Boolean palette was weakened because of the extreme utility of that palette.

ouadji
Trusted Enthusiast

thank you Aristos Queue for this explanation.
I understand better why LV works this way.

MaryH
Status changed to: Declined

Idea was explicitly considered & rejected by R&D - see Aristos Queue's post (above) for reasoning

ouadji
Trusted Enthusiast

Thank you to have considered this idea.
I understand why you have declined it.

ouadji
Trusted Enthusiast