LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Citabria

View probe values within the code during execution

Probes are so useful for debugging, but monitoring them within the Probe Watch window can be a headache. I constantly find myself focusing back and fourth between Probe Watch and the code to translate a probe number to a position in the code. A solution would be to have the probe's value float just above the probe itself. LabVIEW already has a similar feature. When you use Highligh Execution wire paths display their current vaules, but using Highlight Execution is too slow and no practical for every debug situation.

Here is the issue as it stands today:

probe_watch_window.png

Here is my proposed new feature! :

probe_text_annot.png

19 Comments
tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

This is good, but obviously needs to be configurable per-probe, as sometimes you would want the list (which is viewable from multiple VIs) and you probably wouldn't want things such as clusters all over the diagram.

Agreed. I do not propose eliminating the Probe Watch window. You could activate the feature by right clicking on each probe and selecting "Show Value". I should have been more detailed about that.

RavensFan
Knight of NI

This sounds very similar to an idea I posted a couple years ago Attached Probe or Block Diagram Indicator where I want what is essentially a block diagram indicator so that I can see the value on the wire that remains attached to the wire.  (Floating probe windows stay locked to a screen location and don't move when you scroll the block diagram.)

A-T-R

YesYesYes!

Most of the time, the probe watch window is a pain in the ass! I constantly select "Open window", just to have single indicators distributed on the BD to see specific values where they are actually created! (Just as in the good ol' daysSmiley Wink)

This is by far the best idea I have ever seen in this place!

jcarmody
Trusted Enthusiast

Kudos.  I usually use "Retain Wire Values" and float my mouse pointer over whatever I'm interested in, but you idea is better.  I also Kudo'd Ravens Fan's idea.

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

jcarmody
Trusted Enthusiast

This got me thinking that I could use a similar approach to the one I used here (on a JKI RCP plugin) to drop constants on the BD near a wire and update it as the VI runs.  I could make it a JKI RCF or a QD plugin...

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

Darin.K
Trusted Enthusiast
Off the top of my head, I would be very, and by very I mean very, very, surprised if you could update the constant in run mode.
jcarmody
Trusted Enthusiast

My quick proof-of-concept says you're correct.

error.png

I may be able to make tiny VIs and float them.

Jim

jcarmody
Trusted Enthusiast

Smiley Very Happy A Free Label does update with the VI in run mode Smiley Very Happy

Jim

Darin.K
Trusted Enthusiast

I was fairly certain that the Free Label would work, but I was going to test.  It is considered a decoration and I have done a few interesting things with changing colors and positions of other decorations such as the arrows and flat frames.

There is a whole world of real-time BD updates that would prove to be invaluable debugging tools.