From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Thoric

Upgrade LV Project RT targets

I've had a look around and can't see anything in here like this already (which surprises me so I'm suspicious that it's just the search algorithm failing) but I'd like to see options in the LabVIEW Project tree for changing target hardware.

For example, I have a development underway using a cRIO-9114 chassis with a 9024 controller, and a 9144 EtherCAT expansion chassis. The primary chassis is about to be upgraded to a 9116, as we need a bigger FPGA, and although the hardware upgrade process is straightforward, upgrading the chassis in the LabVIEW Project is not a possibility. Instread, I need to create a whole new target, and copy and paste every VI, node, FIFO, DMA etc. across. There's quite the possibility that I'll miss something, or the new target won't have all the same settings (Scan Mode period and priority settings for example), leaving me with that niggling feeling that something under the hood will be wrong. It would be much neater if this was an automated migration.

Furthermore, as the hardware is not here yet, I need to create the new target and all it's modules manually, which will take me quite some time. An automated migration would save me that trouble.

Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)

3 Comments
Thoric
Trusted Enthusiast

Well, it happened again. Depsite my searching for this idea and not finding it, it does exist already:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Real-Time-Idea-Exchange/Modify-Hardware-Model-in-LabVIEW-Project-Wit...

Thanks to GerdW for spotting it.

Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)

Mads
Active Participant
Darren
Proven Zealot