From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
Jon_Kokott

Unbounded single instance cluster typedefs

Any idea that has not received any kudos within a year after posting will be automatically declined.

Typedef'd clusters are excellent for managing linkages between, but poorly accomodate GUI arrangements.  I find myself constantly unbundeling cluster components simply to achieve a reasonable GUI.  This results in multi-part points of maintenance that should not be necessary.

Unbounded Clusters

I am constantly unbundling cluster components just to do this.  this results in all kinds of consequences like having to remember where every GUI that uses the control is for modification, forcing multiple events in event structures to handle what ultimately is an event for a singular cluster.  Lets Decouple the GUI from the typedef and allow for unbounded elements that don't move when adding cluster components.  Simply place any new elements at the origin and let me decide where they belong.  

------------------------------------
Jon Kokott
CLA, CLED, CTD, MCP C#
2 Comments
fabric
Active Participant

Can I ask why you want to carry such massive controls around in typedef clusters in the first place? There is certainly a place for graphically rich display elements, but I don't think typedefs are that place...

Over the years I have found myself bundling my pretty UI controls less and less - partly to allow more freedom in where they are placed (as per your idea), but mostly because I dislike having large-footprint controls for all my sub VI inputs and outputs. They take up too many pixels and too much memory!

Instead I either:

• Pass control references around (so the actual controls can be placed anywhere), OR
  • Build typedefs using simple built-in types only, then explicitly unbundle them for display via pretty custom UI controls. I have never found this unbundling to be too onerous in practice.

Anyway, long story short: I find your idea intriguing but just don't see an overwhelming need for it! 🙂

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined

Any idea that has not received any kudos within a year after posting will be automatically declined.