LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unbind CTRL+W from the Project Explorer window

I have no idea why it's even bound, but the next time I accidentally close my entire project and all my probes/logs/etc. while using the keyboard to close several open VI windows (CTRL+E, CTRL+W, repeat); I'm probably going to chuck my laptop out the second-story window.

Alternative ideas for restoring sanity to keyboard navigators:

1. Bind a different combination to close the Project Explorer window. Something that isn't on the left hand.
  2. Force the PE window to stay at the back of the z-order at all times.
  3. Open a confirmation dialog before closing the project.
9 Comments
fabric
Active Participant

Agreed!

Regarding your suggestions: I'd take (1) and/or (3) any day, but I definitely don't want (2)! I regularly need to bring my PE window to the front...

Active Participant

Good point, fabric. Smiley LOL I didn't think very hard on the suggestions...I was a little out my element.

yenknip
Active Participant

I'd rather have (1) than (3). Yes/No Dialog boxes always feel like a bodge for a badly designed user interface.

Adding to this suggestion, I would like to see Ctl+E removed as a shortcut for viewing the file hierarchy from the PE window.  I can't tell you how many times I have been closing windows as David described when the PE window comes to the front and I accidentally hit Ctl+E, then I have to wait a long time for LV to populate the file hierarchy.  Very annoying!

elset191
Active Participant

You can (un)set custom keyboard shortcuts.  Tools>Options>Keyboard Shortcuts.  If you open this dialog from the Project Explorer window you will see this.

ks.png

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Active Participant

Robert_Hoffman, your complaint is more an indictment of the responsiveness of the Files view than the existence of the CTRL+E binding.

Active Participant

actually elset191, it looks like that will change the binding for both VI windows and the project window. I want the project window binding to be different than the VI window binding.

elset191
Active Participant

Oh, that's a shame.  I figured since the Options window was smart enough to load the right menu, it had individual entries. 

--
Tim Elsey
Certified LabVIEW Architect
gsussman
Active Participant

I really don't know why this idea has not gained more kudos. I have been bitten by this issue so many times I can't count.

Closing out an entire project with initialized equipment, stored data, etc.... is enough to drive someone to drink at 8:30am.