LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Chris_Cilino

The LabVIEW Container

Hey Ya'll

I've created something new that I'd like to get your feedback on. I'm calling it the LabVIEW Container. Think of it as a cross between an array and a cluster. Another way to think of it is an "in memory cluster" that you can programmatically interact with. Other languages have a "Dictionary" so I wanted to makes a LabVIEW flavor.

Here's a short 5 minute video

Here's the link to the community page where I explain it in detail

I'd love to hear ya'lls thoughts \ feedback. This is still very much a work in progress....

Chris Cilino

National Instruments

LV CLD.png

8 Comments
Manzolli
Active Participant

This will fill a gap that has been bugging me for a long time. I have deal with the pros and con of Arrays and Clusters and choose one. Kudos!

André Manzolli

Mechanical Engineer
Certified LabVIEW Developer - CLD
LabVIEW Champion
Curitiba - PR - Brazil
X.
Trusted Enthusiast
Trusted Enthusiast

This looks interesting...but a bit like trying to get back into a graphical language all the advantages of a text-based programming language. Where's the end? Javascript in LabVIEW?

Darren
Proven Zealot

Chris, is the point of posting this to the LabVIEW Idea Exchange to propose adding your implementation of Containers as a VI-based core LabVIEW feature?

Chris_Cilino
Active Participant

It's really two fold:

1. Tying to engage the LV Community in a hanful of strategic contexts to gain exposure

2. Tying to gague if the community on the whole might like to see the Containers added as a LabVIEW feature. Fingers crossed 🙂

manu.NET
Active Participant

Hello Chris,

It would be nice if your feature could looks like a dotNet property grid.

PropertyGrid.png

Building your container as a XControl would also be nice.

Here is a link to one of my old proposition  PropertyGrid to view/edit LabVIEW dataStructures ...

Manu.

Manu.net
Mr._Jim
Active Participant

Chris, it's clear you've put a lot of thought, effort and time into this - Kudos at the very least on that basis, and of course on the clever ideas.

I really, really like the feature set.  Most of these are things that I've been doing frequently myself through variant tricks, etc.

This is just me, personally:

If this hypothetically becomes part of the core LabVIEW environment, it absolutely must be as efficient as possible in resource usage or I will likely not use it.

This looks like it has the potential to be bloated (I'm not at all saying that it will be, necessarily).  If I find NI or third party code that seems or is demonstrably inefficient, I'll sometimes go to the trouble of rewriting or refactoring it myself - it's that important to me.  Often, I'll download a toolkit and the VIs aren't locked, and I'll look at the source code and wince (even occasionally at NI code - sorry, I'm just being honest).

If this gets implemented with efficiency in mind, then I'm all for it and I will probably use it myself.

Thanks again for all your hard work!  I don't mean to denegrate any part of that in what I'm expressing.

Matthew_Kelton
Active Participant

I really would strongly consider changing the name.  "Container" means something to programmers outside of LabVIEW.  It's already difficult to explain that a cluster is a container, but not quite a container.  Now to explain that the LabVIEW Container is not a container, use the cluster which is sort of like a container becomes even more confusing.

Chris_Cilino
Active Participant

You know, I've really wrestled with the name. I'm not "married" to containers. What would you suggest as an alternative?