From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
steveADI

TDMS Defrag Status

Available in LabVIEW 2015 and later

TDMS can be a really useful format for saving large amounts of data, the problem I have is that the defrag function can take a long time to execute with no feedback to the user.  This means that there's no way way of reporting back to the user an estimate for how long the defrag will take or even whether or not it is still alive.  I understand that an estimation of the defrag time remaining may be a tall order but having a status flag reporting back that it is still active (maybe with a time stamp so you can double check it's still going) would be a great help.

5 Comments
YongqingYe
NI Employee (retired)

Hi steveADI,

Thank you for the idea and the request. Yes, it's a little bit difficult to supply a very accurate estimation of the remained time for TDMS Defragment. However, it's really a good idea to supply some way to indicate the application is still active.

Yongqing Ye

NI R&D

PaulG.
Active Participant

I suppose this would be a good feature to have but as a workaround and matter of habit I defrag a TDMS file after I close it.

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
steveADI

Thaks for the comments.

Paul, yes I do defrag only after the file has been closed and then only at the end of the data gathering exercise, it'd be far too risky to start a defrag during data gathering.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: In Beta

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Completed

Available in LabVIEW 2015 and later