From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maolss

Support for AUTOSAR configuration and development in LabView

Wouldn't it be great if National Instruments could support AUTOSAR SWC-development in LabView. The AUTOSAR standard with its module-based approach fits perfectly for LabView. I am convinced that your company could do a great job in implementing an easy-to-use environment for this emerging standard. I have worked with the tools from Vector and in my opinion everything there is very messy and illogical.

Best regards

Mats Olsson

11 Comments
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

What is AUTOSAR? What is Vector? Links would be appreciated, along with how LabVIEW would help with whatever "SWC-development" is. Yes, I could Google it, but that would just tell me what these things are, not why you need LabVIEW to help you with them nor how you see it integrating into LabVIEW.

StephenB
Active Participant

its a standard for automotive product design and test

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autosar

Stephen B
AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

What would it mean for LabVIEW to "support" it? Are there specific templates that we need to be able to instantiate and an associated build spec? Do we need a new text node for parsing some specific script? Or is this like Veristand where we need to create a whole new "LabVIEW-like" product that plays in that space?

maolss

Please see http://www.autosar.org/ for information. Specifications can be downloaded from this site as well. The standard is huge so prepare yourself for a lot a lot of reading. How this will be incorporated into LabView must be determinded by your system engineers but basically creating an AUTOSAR application means creating software components (SWC:s) and connect them together through sender/receiver and server/clients ports. SWC:s are implemented indenpendently from the underlying hardware by using a so called Virtual Function Bus (VFB). SWC:s and hardware dependent modules (Can, CanIf, Com, Dio, Mcu, Os etc. -all is detailed in the specifications) could for example be dragged from the LabView function palette...

Using the (complicated) tools from Vector (http://vector.com/vi_embedded_software_en.html) the next step is, based on the configuration above, generating C-code for the hardware dependent parts and the SWC:s (function skeleton). The developer then moves from the grapical environment and continues implementing (in C) the actual functionally within each SWC:s. The final step is compilation and downloading the binary to the target.

I you could implement an easy-to-use (and relatively inexpensive) environment for AUTOSAR-based development of embedded software in LabView I am convinced it will be widely used among many developers in the automotive industry.

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Maolss: interesting information. I'll pass the idea along, but it sounds like you're asking for a whole new product (a new LabVIEW module at minimum, possibly a full new software product like Veristand), so I wouldn't expect any movement on this for quite some time.

krugman3

VW, Audi, Daimler/Mercedes will be using the AUTOSAR format for the forseeable future

Keynote_4_Cornelius_Koetz_V04.pdf

I really think that NI would be missing a trick if their NI-XNET database editor and their Flexray tools did not support this format.

The develpers at these manufacturers are using Vector's hardware/software. could this be because they support AUTOSAR and NI don't?

Mario_Z80

+++

Autosar will become more important in future. More and more projects are coming up with it and we've already to use external tools to generate .dbc files to be able to use XNET in some projects.

barkermp

I've also started to see some AUTOSAR info coming through, in this case an arxml. At least for my testing it'd be helpful to be able to import the messages into XNET to start.

DanCee
I agree! It would be great to see XNET be able to import AUTOSAR database files. I for one would use it as its fast becoming very popular. I speak for the Automotive industry.
RavensFan
Knight of NI

Well then you should click the star to register your vote as a kudo.  NI evaluates the kudoes that ideas get, not how many times someone says "I agree".