LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mniedernhuber

Support better Application Icons (more Icons and more resolutions in one ICO file)

Any idea that has received less than 4 kudos within 4 years after posting will be automatically declined.

Hi,

the application builder supports only an icon file with a total set of 4 icons and only 16x16 and 32x32 pixel in black and white or color.

That is not very usefull. Please support for the application icon more resolution and color combinations, e.g.

16x16 8bit

16x16 32bit

24x24 8bit

24x24 32bit

32x32 8bit

32x32 32bit

48x48 8 bit

48x48 32bit

256x256 8 bit

256x256 32bit

and other...

Thanks

13 Comments
gmart
NI Employee (retired)

This functionality has been available since LabVIEW 8.5.

George M
National Instruments
Laura F.
Active Participant
Status changed to: Completed

Technico

It could be supported by the application builder 

but it is definitely NOT supported by the built-in Icon Editor (LV 8.5),

so an external editor is needed for editing/building larger icons.

tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

I just use IcoFX which is a free editor and is much better than the editor NI uses (which was built in CVI, if memory serves). You can probably get it launch directly from the app builder if you replace the EXEs, but I don't bother.

I think it is wrong to set this idea as Completed.

You can create icon files with more sizes yes, but you need to use a third party tool to generate the icon. It is not supported within the icon editor in LabVIEW, and that is an idea worthy of implementation.

tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

How often do you build an icon for an executable? Do you really want NI to spend time on creating an EXE icon editor when there are already many (much better) options available?

Then again, I don't use CVI, so if they use the CVI people to make the new icon editor I care less 😉 , but I would probably not use this editor.

Hey,

how set my idea to completed? It is definitely NOT completed. In the application builder

window at symbol all available combinations of a choosen ICO file are listed. But ONLY

the selected icon is compiled into the EXE, and that is stupid. If there is a ICO file, the application

builder should implement all icons of that ICO file. And BTW the editor doesn't support it either.

So, this case is not completed.

mniedernhuber

@tst

You didn't understand my idea:

>How often do you build an icon for an executable?

only once 🙂

>Do you really want NI to spend time on creating an EXE icon editor

> when there are already many (much better) options available?

I agree with you that NI should not spend time on creating an icon editor.

I have used IconFX to create it, not the Editor from NI, it doesn't support more icons

in an ICO file.

But NI should support to compile the full ICO file into the exe, and not only the selected icon.

Laura F.
Active Participant
Status changed to: New

Mads
Active Participant

Tst - they already have an icon editor in LabVIEW...all they need to do is to expand the icon formats it allows you to make. If they threw in a few minor extras there too they would be done. For me it would be nice to just see all the formats that are in the icon file I've linked in...but I'm sure that I would often create full icons in there too, the number of necessary features  are quite few.

Sjunge - the builder does include the full ICO file, at least it has done this for quite a few versions now. One little problem though is the fact that Windows will not always detect all the included icons just after the build. If you copy the executable to a new location, or wait until the next restart e.g. you will see that all the icons are there (128*128, 64*64 etc).

I still support your idea though, I think it is an unnecessary oversight that the in-built icon editor does not allow you to create and edit more icon formats.