LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Broken_Arrow

Size to Widest Element, with regards to Array Constants, should be a Setting, not a one-time thing

Take for example an enum that is saved as a type def. The enum has many items (let's say words) of varying length.

In order to see all of the elements, inclusive of the widest one, the array can be sized with the right-click option "Size to Widest Element".

If the type def'd enum is edited, and a longer element is added, the array of enum constants will not size to the widest element. This can be frustrating, as dozens (or more) of these arrays scattered about the program are rendered unreadable.

If the user has previously chosen to "Size to Widest Element", this setting should persist. If the user edits the enum, all of the array constants should size to the widest element.

-------------------------- Example ----------------------------------------------------------------------

size to widest.pngsize to widest2.png

Richard

1 Comment
fabric
Active Participant

Hmmm... no thanks. I don't like it when LV goes moving things around without my consent. (Full disclosure: I'm one of those people who doesn't like/use auto-grow...)

My preferred solution to the unreadable enum values is to add a visual indicator that some text is obscured, much like this suggestion for strings.