From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SteveChandler

Select VI - Select Starting Path

When I click on Select VI and want something from vi.lib, I have to browse way away from my project. The next time I click Select VI, I have to browse way back to my project. It is kind of annoying.

I propose that Select VI has a subpallette with an entry for vi.lib. Possibly include My Documents and allow for another customizable start path. Choosing a VI in this way will not alter the starting path for the next time that I want to find a VI.

Browse For Select VI.png

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

6 Comments
fabric
Active Participant
I appreciate the sentiment of the idea but I'm not sure I agree with the proposed solution... Perhaps something a little more general like a recent history of "start paths" instead??
SteveChandler
Trusted Enthusiast

I like recent history. But many times that I use Select VI I want to go directly to vi.lib.

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

PaulG.
Active Participant

Being able to select a vi from only the most recent start path is very annoying. I like the customizeable option and/or the most recent start paths.

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
JÞB
Knight of NI

I agree with the sentiment Kudos!  I will share this snip thoughSmiley Wink

1a.png

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
johnsold
Knight of NI

Thanks, Jeff.  I did not know the Favorites item existed.

Slightly different topic, but I think closely related: When Replacing a VI which is NOT in vi.lib (or on a palette), I would like the start path to include the path to the VI being replaced.  When replacing something from palettes, you get the home palette of the object being replaced as one of the options.

shb
Active Participant
Active Participant

This looks very similar to this older idea: Palette item for vi lib