From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PaulLotz

Right-justify numeric controls by default

Available in LabVIEW NXG. All Numeric controls drop with right-justified numeric text.

I admit I have not sorted out all the implications of this, but here goes.

Currently numeric controls and indicators are left-aligned by default.  The resulting appearance is most often undesirable since (even in the case of integers) the 1s and 10s for instances, do not align properly.  We have adopted a policy of always right-aligning numerics (and fixing the number of values to the right of the decimal point) to make our displays more user friendly (cf. MS Excel) but we see many examples where developers simply use the LabVIEW default (understandably).  We propose that LabVIEW right-align numeric values by default as this is appropriate for most use cases.

5 Comments
altenbach
Knight of NI

Yes, this has bugged me since LabVIEW 4.0!

I agree that I use right-aligment virtually everywhere, so that should be the default. Maybe we should be able to set an option for default alignment of numerics.

(Right-alignment is definitely correct for formats with a fixed number of decimal places, but that's not the LabVIEW default format. Maybe we should also be able to also define the default format)

longbow

I don't think the default can just be changed, but having the option to change the default - yes

johnsold
Knight of NI

I have long wanted this as well. I think I posted messages years ago requesting this, probably before the Idea Exchange existed.

Does any use case exist for NOT right aligning numbers?

Lynn

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Completed

Available in LabVIEW NXG. All Numeric controls drop with right-justified numeric text.

PaulLotz

Yay!