LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hurban

Remote Debug on Windows Targets

Since its introduction a few years ago, working with LV Realtime targets via the LabVIEW project is really a pleasure: I just write my LabVIEW RT VI and then press the run-button => I can now use execution highlighting, breakpoints etc. just as if the VI were running locally on my development PC ... this is a truly smooth and convenient way of developing software on the RT-target.

Is it not possible to provide just the same functionality and convenience for Windows Targets? Most of the time I need to install and test/debug programs (executables) on customer's PCs with no LV development system on them. I guess that is what many of us need to do.

I am well aware that the LV touch panel target is already a big step into this direction but frankly its not nearly as nice to use as the RT-target.

Probably NI would need to charge a runtime license for that but considering the potential timesavings at the customers site this should not be a big obstacle. One could perhaps bundle the license with the NI-3110 industrial PC ?

Below is a screenshot of what I mean.

Regards HU

Windows Target

3 Comments
tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

The debug functionality, at least, does exist - LV has a remote debug option which should build an executable with all the FPs and BDs and connect to it from LV over the network. I have only used it rarely, so I don't remember the specifics, but it should be in one of the menus (probably the Operate menu).

Also, NI does have a debug license for LV which is supposed to be cheaper and only meant for debugging. Again, I don't have the specifics, but you should be able to get them directly from NI.

@tst

of course this basic "remote debug" feature has been there under the "operate" menu for a long time and I am using it a lot - for lack of something more convenient ...   but have you ever tried working with it on a larger application ... ? Try it out and you will see what I mean 😉 - it is just unwieldy.

What I am trying to say: all the basic functionality is already implemented in LabVIEW- its just a matter of improving user-friendliness to make remote debugging Windows applications as pleasant an experience as under RT

SteenSchmidt
Trusted Enthusiast

Really nice idea. Couple it with the ability to debug reentrant VIs on remote targets and we have a winner.

Cheers,

Steen

CLA, CTA, CLED & LabVIEW Champion