cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
Briton

Queue name bundle

Hi

When you bundle queues it wold be nice that the queue name will be added to the element in the cluster.

Regards Bjarne

30 Comments
crossrulz
Knight of NI

Use Bundle By Name

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Briton

Hi crossrulz

I use JKI state machine and it use Bundle for the Data cluster wired to **bleep** register.

If I use Bundle by name I have to make a cluster with a constant input and a contant "Queue out" is wery big on the BD.

Further more if I want to add extra to my data cluster it will take a lot more time to program it.

JKI use bundle2.PNG

Regards/Bjarne

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

Cannot be done. Queue names are established at run time. Cluster element names are established at compile time. This request is impossible.

Darren
Proven Zealot
Status changed to: Declined
tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

You could try using variant to data like this:

Example_VI.png

Just note that the data type of the queue going into the top input will have to match the original.

What might be relevant as an idea is a node which will change the label of a wire or allowing nodes like bundle by name to use the wire label instead of the source label.

> a node which will change the label of a wire

I'm pretty sure this is already proposed somewhere on the idea exchange.

tst
Knight of NI Knight of NI
Knight of NI

Yes, and it also uses the JKI SM as an example - http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Change-Data-Name-New-Primitive/idi-p/1267036

Hi all

It's too bad that it can not be done. The showed solutions use much space on BD 😞

regards Bjarne

AristosQueue (NI)
NI Employee (retired)

a) The desire to do this still baffles me. You're tying a runtime setting to a compile time setting. That's a maintenance burden.

b) If you want to do this, there's a much MUCH easier solution. Just create a subVI to do the Obtain.

Untitled.png

Call this and then wire the output into your Bundle node. It will have the name of the output terminal.

Alternatively, you could stop using the unnamed Bundle node and start properly typing your clusters with a typedef that actually defines the name of the elements instead of relying upon the ad hoc names that come out of upstream terminals. If you were on my software team and I were your team lead, that would be a requirement before you could submit code. The arbitrary names discovered by Bundle nodes on diagrams are useful for short hops like between producer/consumer loops on the same diagram, but you're working with what looks like one of the state machine templates, and making that more well defined is critical, IMHO, to both readability and maintainability in the other frames as that state machine gets bigger.

Briton

Thanks 

I will look into that:)

/Bjarne