LabVIEW Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
BrianGShea@NGC

Project Run Button

It would be nice to have a run button at the project level. Which VI to run could be selected in the project properties. 

I find that I often need to go looking for the top VI in projects. This is more true with actor framework based projects, since the launcher / splash screen will be closed after the software is run each time.

The icon for the VI in the project tree could be altered to denote top level VI or the VI that will be executed from the project run button.

Brian G. Shea
Certified LabVIEW Architect
5 Comments
fabric
Active Participant

I actually really like this idea, especially in the context of AF.

That said, I would probably prefer to make the run operation a little more explicit, e.g. add a menu option called "Run Launcher.vi" (or whatever you define your top level VI to be). Could possibly even be extended to support multiple top level VIs in a project...

Intaris
Proven Zealot

I think it's an idea worth considering.

But should it not be linked to a build spec, that way the top-level VI is already defined.....  Would a right-click menu ona build spec not make more logical sense?  You could have several different builds from a single project (like in our case where we have a main application and several smaller helper programs which are seperately compiled).

BrianGShea@NGC

I like the idea to allow it to link to a build spec, I think that could be useful in some cases where the code had to build before it could run. However, would like allow it to run just a selected VI as well. If the build spec had to compile each time, it would take longer than finding the VI in the project. 

The main idea was to allow developer to quickly run the top VI in large projects like AF without digging through the project tree.

Brian G. Shea
Certified LabVIEW Architect
Intaris
Proven Zealot

Well the idea of mine was certainly that we could run the VIs as specified in the Build spec, but obviously without building.  That would be very time-consuming indeed.

Petru_Tarabuta

+1. Totally needed. I have recently been working on a large DQMH-based project. It's time consuming to find the top-level VI, or the launcher VI, immediately after editing deeply nested subVIs. The Project Run button would be more accessible, therefore would save time.

The screenshots below show how this is implemented in Visual Studio.

1 (edited).png

2 (edited).png

P.S. The following idea requests essentially the same thing: https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Ability-to-mark-the-top-level-VI-in-a-project-and-run...